Fiesta & Puma Suspension - expert opinion? Money saver too?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAN-HN

Quick question, does Fiesta MK4 suspension fit the Puma - because it is actually much cheaper and has more sizes available? I'm looking for 50-60mm drop all round. There is generally only 40mm or 60 (front) /40mm (rear) drops available for puma's using lowering springs and shocks. Therefore, I'm considering Fiesta Mk4 Suspension.

I found fiesta SPAX springs dropping 60mm:
http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&k=s&p=SPXS011025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gmax Springs:
http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&k=s&p=GMAX30FO32LK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Individual Dampers @ £20 each! :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270467728148&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2779wt_962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Fiesta-MK4-Shock-Absorber-Rear-1998-2002-KYB-/260287694824?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3c9a5b07e8#ht_962wt_939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or a full kits:
http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=62313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPAX-SUSPENSION-KIT--60mm-FORD-FIESTA-MK4%265,1998%3E02-NEW_W0QQitemZ350347400307QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=724f89f91270a0e204759545fff2855c#ht_832wt_736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also because the fiesta suspension is 10mm higher than puma's, does that mean that fiesta kit will lower my Puma 50mm instead of 60mm?

What's everyones opinion?

Cheers in advance ;)

Only Very late MK4 Fiesta will fit on a puma.... but the damper settings are much softer...

MK5 ZetecS suspension is probably identical tho...

also dropping 60mm does cause other issues.... I wouldn't go any more than 40 personally...

ideally you need adjustable lower arms too, and a custom job at the Wheel alignment center...

If your puma is a 'T' it may have the older style fork mounting...have a check.. ;)

:)

Does that mean that Fiesta 98-02 will fit then? Or what about if I bought puma dampers and used to fiesta springs?

I would just use the Puma stuff, I think OE Ford dampers are only around £40 each, I don't really understand the benefit of using Fiesta bits?

id stick with puma bits too you should consider full coilovers then you can set them to the ride height you want and then change the height higher or lower as you please with the key they supply with them

DAN-HN, i too heard this about the fiesta mk4/5 shocks and springs fitting the puma as they are essentialy the same thing. But i was getting the same resposes as you when i first asked. So thats what i did, i just fitted puma coilovers. It would be good to know if it actually worked though.

It was only because 60mm springs aren't really available for Puma's and you seem to pay a premium because you have a Puma not a fiesta despite being the same thing.

You pay a premium for Puma parts, but it then handles like a Puma should.

If you want to make your Puma handle like a Fiesta then it is a great idea, but why would you?

@dan h
why did ford spend so much money and have people like jackie stewart help with the handling of the puma if they was going to use stock fiesta parts,that is why puma's handle so much better than the fiesta as standard,use puma parts as they are designed for the puma.
if you want to save money and buy fiesta parts go then and get a fiesta,the puma was based on the chassis of the fiesta,certain components are interchangable as with the ford range but shocks and springs were set up for the puma...

Ok point taken, I just wondered if it was a good way to save money, but its obviously not lol

theres nothing stopping you not everthing on here is always right..maybe you should go ahead with it then maybe others will follow once they see your results

there is nothing stopping him but the fiesta parts are tuned to how the fiesta handles,we are telling him its best to stick to parts that are for the puma,gas pressures inside shocks and how the springs are set up is so the puma handles as it should,would you go and fit standard suspension from a basic fiesta onto an st fiesta,the answer would be no !!!

get fiesta ST parts then dan
personally i have driven a mk6 fiesta ST and zetec-s and there was no difference in handling

if you mean mk4 and mk5 fiesta parts then no i wouldnt use them personally

whats the point in giving advice when you come along and say fit the st parts,shows how much you know then about cars,regardless of what you have driven......

pumakid2010 said:
theres nothing stopping you not everthing on here is always right..maybe you should go ahead with it then maybe others will follow once they see your results
Trying not to confuse peoples opinions when asked for them with what you perceive as facts might give you a bit more respect about your opinion. ;)
IMO you should use puma parts rather than trying to save a few quid for piece of mind that they're designed for the job.
Fiesta mk6 chassis is completle different to the puma so parts won't fit.

coolio

the mk6 is a good drive though

my friends got a remapped silver mk6 zetec-s pushing 150bhp and i struggle to keep up with him

Re-mapped to 150bhp?

What other mods has he got cause standard there about 110bhp?

I know the shaw speed kit can fit, but it still has issues fitting

ive seen the dyno read out...its been remapped twice ,piper cams ,piper decat exhuast,lowered 40mm,300mm ST170 brake upgrade my freind has a fiesta ST and the zetec-s easily keeps up if not quicker but the ST is standard no mods yet

the ST is higher on insurance and is 2.0 litre so more fuel to run it though so with the right mods the choice would be the zetec-s

Back