Fiesta ST150 280mm brake upgrade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamis

In an urgent situation. I have a ceased calliper and need the car for the weekend. I could go get reconditioned ones from the motor factors, or I could upgrade them...

Been reading up on this conversion from this site and others and it seems the best upgrade for minimal effort and modification (no drilling of hub knuckles!) vs most gain and still be able to fit my 15" Puma Black alloys over the top.

Question is, where can you get the parts?

I'm assuming I need:
Callipers
Carriers
Fixing bolts (or do Puma ones fit?)
Discs
Pads
all from Fiesta ST150

Can someone confirm this parts list?

Are motor factors stocking these now as reconditioned?

Need to get this all sourced and fitted tomorrow!

My ST150 callipers, discs and pads fitted straight on, nothing else required. You can use standard Puma bolts (although I chose to fit new ones).

Most of us get them from eBay, as new parts are expensive. Most/All Ford dealers would not have the parts in stock and need to order them in. Doubt if you'll get them anywhere tomorrow.
Mine had done 8,000 miles and were £175, although I've seen them go for a lot more.

Agreed, eBay is your best shot really, but don't expect to get them before the weekend even if buying new parts from Ford/local motor factor.

As above, you may have picked the easiest upgrade but as such you'll have to pay a high price and search high and low to get some. As for finding any by tomorrow....good luck :(

Your best bet to get back on the road tomorrow would be a scrapyard and a replacement off a standard Puma or someone on here who lives local to you (if we knew your location) might have a caliper or two kicking around still from when they did an upgrade if they didn't sell them on - I know I still have mine.

Thought as much, but thought here might the a good place to start.
I'm in Hunddersfield. Suppose I could just sort it until something comes up.

Cheers guys!
J

I may have sourced some, but they are telling me there are two sizes of piston and thickness of disc.
20mm vs 22mm discs (thickness)
and piston sizes of 48mm(?) and 54mm(?) - might have those wrong?

probably not wrong, from my understanding the ST150 had two disc sizes... the rare ones 258mm and the normal ones 278mm, i only found this out after I bought my ST150 calipers, now I'm not sure whether I have the ones I wanted...

What size wheels do you need to fit the ST150 brakes? was thinking about upgrading soon myself

slayllian said:
What size wheels do you need to fit the ST150 brakes? was thinking about upgrading soon myself

Not 100% sure but I'm led to believe that they should fit behind the standard 15" rims.

Those measurements I mentioned were correct. I was going to take a gamble for the larger ones but when I added the discs and pads it was quickly becoming a £300 gamble.
I ended up sourcing some normal Puma/Fiesta callipers in the end, but when I came to fit them the carrier bolts were rounded and rusted.

I can get them off but they will be useless after that.
Anyone have idea what size these are, and where I might find replacements? Will need these before I start now!

Never straight forward is it? :lol

I know they had at least 4 scrap pumas in a yard in sheffield a few weeks ago james, couldn't say if they had the bits you need though

Cheers Yvonne.
Almost sorted now. Went to Ford. They've M10x25mm which I picked up from B&Q.
Still fancy fitting bigger brakes, but at the moment I just need brakes! lol

As far as I know guys, I'm pretty sure the ST150 178mmx22mm discs with the 54mm piston callipers will fit under standard 15" rims but it would be good to get exact confirmation from someone who has done it, perhaps with a review as to how much better the upgrade is??

I heard 300mm discs do fit under standard wheels but you have to grind some of the caliper back

Yamis said:
As far as I know guys, I'm pretty sure the ST150 178mmx22mm discs with the 54mm piston callipers will fit under standard 15" rims but it would be good to get exact confirmation from someone who has done it, perhaps with a review as to how much better the upgrade is??

278mm!!

I have the ST150 setup under standard Thunder wheels (15", 15 spoke), without any problems.
However, over on PumaPeople, someone has just fitted this setup and had a problem with the calipers springs catching on his 15" Prop wheels - Solved by fitting 3mm spacers.

Sorry to hijack a thread but been thinking about brakes and this seems highly relevant.

For reference this thread is invaluable as a summary of available upgrades: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone give their opinion on the later Puma brakes versus the ST150 brakes? Will I feel the difference going from 240 to 260mm or am I advised to go straight to 280?

I don't feel the need for huge brakes but a little improvement wouldn't go amiss.

Latest posts

Back