Finally own a Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisB1983

Hello all. Back in 2001 i wanted to buy a Puma in this exact spec but couldn't get the finance or insurance (i was only 19 at the time) so ended up with a more sensible Focus. I've had a Mk4 Golf TDI for the past few years due to a long commute that i no longer have to do so time to get rid of the Golf and replace it with a Puma.

I didn't realise how difficult it would be to find one that is a) Not rusty and b)sensibly priced. I have seen so many cars over the last few weeks and many wasted journeys due to owners insisting their car is both immaculate and a rare find only to see a car in dire need of help.

Anyway, i came across this last weekend advertised for £800. It's a 2002 car with 91,000 miles. Had a dead battery and a few niggles so ended up buying it for £700.

I will start a project thread up with the little jobs i've had to do so far. For now, here's a few pics.

Cheers,
Chris

I could have started a new topic put I have decided to post a reply instead. I am half way to driving a Puma.

Grandpa can no longer drive and my daughter has put in a request for the family heirloom.

I have just discovered that with the Co-op it will cost her £5,000 to insure.

The Puma is not an ideal car for me, because at a certain point I will want to carry four people. But I would still like to get the car back on the road if only for a month or two.

I took apart Grandpa's wiring modification which were probably the reason the battery kept going flat. I then decided to look at the spare wheel with a view to pumping it up.

Unfortunately the rear wheel carrier is very rusty. I might even have difficulty putting the spare wheel back.

I have decided to treat the rust and paint it, and the spare wheel which is also rusty. But very quickly it is looking like more trouble than it is worth as I have already had a major row with my partner.

It seems a shame because this is a car that has only done, 24,000 miles and it was always Grampa's pride and joy. A last treat of many, in his old age.

Part of my problem at the moment is persuading Grandpa to let me register it in my name, so I can insure it in my name. I think that this is the only way his grand-daughter is going to be able to drive it.

Cheerio

craig26283 said:
Wow, looks just like my car!

Looks like a lovely example, what are the niggles and plans?

Thanks, so far i'm really pleased with it.

Jobs to do are;

Cambelt.
Service.
Sort rust spots on drivers side arch.
Tyres and wheel alignment.
Exhaust flexi joint.
Interior valet.
Number plates.

Jobs done so far;

New battery.
Banging/knocking that turned out to be a loose heat shield.
Headlight refurb - wet & dry then polished.
New third brake light - found the original lose inside the tailgate.
Clayed and polished the bodywork.
Re-aligned drivers window.
Fixed door cards - new clips and glued window guide trim back on.

That's about it, i just plan on keeping it as tidy as i can. To be honest i didn't expect to like the car so much so i think i will keep it a bit longer than the planned 6 months.

One thing that's really irritating me is the door windows pinching the rubber seal at the top of the frame when closing. As anyone had this problem and found a cure? I've tried warming the rubber but didn't make any difference.

chrisB1983 said:
craig26283 said:
Wow, looks just like my car!

Looks like a lovely example, what are the niggles and plans?

Thanks, so far i'm really pleased with it.

Jobs to do are;

Cambelt.
Service.
Sort rust spots on drivers side arch.
Tyres and wheel alignment.
Exhaust flexi joint.
Interior valet.
Number plates.

Jobs done so far;

New battery.
Banging/knocking that turned out to be a loose heat shield.
Headlight refurb - wet & dry then polished.
New third brake light - found the original lose inside the tailgate.
Clayed and polished the bodywork.
Re-aligned drivers window.
Fixed door cards - new clips and glued window guide trim back on.

That's about it, i just plan on keeping it as tidy as i can. To be honest i didn't expect to like the car so much so i think i will keep it a bit longer than the planned 6 months.

One thing that's really irritating me is the door windows pinching the rubber seal at the top of the frame when closing. As anyone had this problem and found a cure? I've tried warming the rubber but didn't make any difference.

Well done! Just getting it up to scratch, exactly what I am up to :)

I also had that knocking noise, was also my heat shield!

Mine only pinches a wee tiny bit on the passenger side, I have't even bothered to look into it yet.

Rub some silicone spray in to the window seals. Mine used to catch on the way up, but has been fine for four years since I did this. Worth trying before messing around with the window alignment.

RobinMichael said:
Part of my problem at the moment is persuading Grandpa to let me register it in my name, so I can insure it in my name. I think that this is the only way his grand-daughter is going to be able to drive it.

It doesn't matter who the car is registered to, You can insure it in your name :)

lusid666 said:
It doesn't matter who the car is registered to, You can insure it in your name :)
I don't think you can do that these days. The main driver on the policy has to be the registered keeper.

Identical to mine except mine's 2001! I don't see many in this colour about.

Looks like the same amount of work that needs doing/been done as well.

I've still got to sort out the 3rd Brake light as the connection is rusted, the Near side headlight is very foggy so that's got to be buffed up and my Drivers side window will go down but has issues going back up - I think it's the seal that's gone. Mine's also got a few scratches down the left side and a bit of a cracked front skirt, previous owner obviously had a bit of a bump!

This is my first car so any hints and tips for things that you've come across would be greatly appreciated.

chrisB1983 said:
...One thing that's really irritating me is the door windows pinching the rubber seal at the top of the frame when closing. As anyone had this problem and found a cure? I've tried warming the rubber but didn't make any difference.

"...The Puma has a pretty unusual door glass design. Instead of the door frame surrounding the glass, the glass has a frame of its own, which can be adjusted independently of the rest of the door..."
Adjustment may help, whether the glass is jumping out of its runners or not.

Latest posts

Back