Ford Puma 1.6 rally/track

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emk

Back to the subject after some silence :cool: (Asked about differences between 1.6 & 1.7 a while ago : http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

The idea was (and still is) to make a Puma according to Finnish V1600 technical rules which are used in rally and track events, and even in some rallycross events this year. Here are some facts about the rules to help you understand some of the decisions made ( :cool: ) :

- Car must have been in production 2000 or later
- 2-wheel-drive, max. 1.6L NA
- Original gearbox (including the ratios)
- ECU and exhaust (after exhaust manifold) are free, engine itself fully original
- Shocks are free, but max. one-way adjustable
- Only minor changes to body are allowed (door panels etc.)
- The minimum weight is based to the original kw of the engine, and the calculation goes: 525kg+6,8kg/kw. There are some differences if the car has smaller displacement or 6-gear gearbox, but this surely gives you the idea.

The idea of the class was to lower the costs of racing and make the cars as equal as possible. And after some years we can say it surely has done its job and is finally becoming more and more popular specially within young drivers raising from go-karts etc. Some pics from different events: http://www.v1600.com/albumi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (sorry, site only in Finnish).

So back to our project.

Bought the Puma then and the car is now build to rally-spec, but as I have some interest in trying some track-events, we're keeping that in mind too. I've raced ten years in go-karts, and after that some years in rally-events with different cars and would like to try the track driving again.

At the moment the body is stripped and the building of roll cage just about to begin. Took the 1.7L engine out and the 1.6 is just being assembled, and it's time to think about the wiring.

Since a lot of engine conversations has been made (Puma -> Puma & Puma -> Fiesta), I think someone could answer the next question: Is the engine loom only difference in wiring? I'll have to buy a 1.6 loom from abroad (ebay etc.) and there seems to be some engine looms available, but not a single full 1.6 wiring loom. For me it would make sense that the interior loom is same as there shouldn't be any differences in the interior, but would like to be sure before buying. I believe the engine loom is same for RHD & LHD?

Also as the class is very much based on original cars, I should make the car exactly as the 00 produced 1.6 model. The basis we started with was a -99 1.7L, so if you have some changes (even minor!) in mind, please tell me. We don't have the 1.6 models at all in Finland, so its been a bit tough to find the info needed.

Sorry about no pics (beside this: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1394234_10201564035376078_1896450607_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink: ) at the moment, going to garage this evening and will take a few.

Latest posts

Back