Front wheel Spacers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, yet another question! I have fitted rear spacers (20mm) and was in the process of ordering the same for the front to keep both front and rear geometry. However, I was told not to bother as it won’t make any difference. Is this true as it was my understanding that the track on front wheel drive cars was wider at the front than back, but at the moment I have the back wider than the front. Also if I do have to fit will they push out standard wheels far enough that I need to make any alteration to standard front wings?
Bit confused and I don’t want to buy front spacers (as a decent pair aren’t cheap) if there is no real reason to fit.

On the Puma the front track is wider than the rear (same as most front wheel drive cars) and in an ideal world it would be good to keep the ratio the same front to back to preserve the handling balance. However in reality you can widen the rear track to the same as the front with no great issues, but i would recommend bolting on 15mm hubcentric spacers at the front which helps keep the f/r ratio sensible while keeping the wheel inside the arch still.

I would always advise against front spacers as they could lead to all sorts of problems, bump steer, wandering, etc etc but if you need to clear bigger brakes then of course you have no choice.
front track yes is generally wider on front wheel drive cars as this gives better handling for road use, the only difference with wider rear track that you might notice, depending on your driving style, is slightly less sharp turn in on corners.
If you have 20mm spacers at the rear then in reality the difference front to back is minimal, standard rear track is 1411mm, front track is 1450mm.
For what its worth and it really does come down to personal preference, I would say leave it as it is, does it look good?, does it feel right?

Latest posts

Back