FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work as usual! You will find the new springs will wear in in couple if weeks and it will drop the height a bit once they have taken the weight of the car and worn in

Oh ok, I thought once the jack was down and the handbrake was off, that's your lot lol. How much did yours drop?

Not much of an update, but this has been doing my head in for months now, and cost me a small fortune!! Heres a pic, the engine is running, can anybody tell what ive managed to sort out eventually??

IMG00686-20120915-1804.jpg

It's got to be the ABS light!?

Also where did you get the dials from, not seen that style before! Have you given up on the mondeo clocks then?

LOL, got it on one!!! :grin: Im over the moon, after changing every sensor, the ABS pump, 2 tone rings, and then another sensor, i finally got it sorted!!! I went to see a mate at ford, and hook it up to the IDS. It was showing the rear drivers side partially picking up the signal. Id already changed the tone ring, and the signal was exactly the same so it had to be the sensor. Annoying as ive shelled out for new tone ring, but it werent the most expensive!

Not the best pic, but my dials are indiglo dials, with chrome rings.

Indiglo.jpg

I actually swapped the Mondeo clocks out to troubleshoot the ABS problem, someone asked if there was a chance that the light was only on because of how id wired the clocks up. I wasnt 100% sure so i swapped them out to see. I might put the Mondeo clocks back in, i made them plug and play so they will go back in without any issues.

excellent glad you finally got it sorted :cool: when theres a light on the dash it does get annoying,i see my first frp today and it was a beaut :)

No it wasnt, it was a dirty mess & was crying out for a wash and wax!!! :oops: Really nice to meet you today, glad you got home ok, hope the car is still in 1 piece and made it ok!!

How did you manage to get the standard coolant temp gauge working? Or are you still running the std ecu as well as your megasquirt?

My abs light is also on.. Ever since I did the rear disc conversion. And no computer can read my abs module :? I need to check voltage and all that at the plug. Such a bastard to get to.

Nice dials too!

Also, how's your gearbox going? I've got to go down the FRS route now. My gearbox is going. The dog teeth have worn badly in 2nd and a little in 4th. (not that I've crunched them!) so will probably bin it all and sell the diff.

Lots of work though.. Custom mounts, cable shift and maybe shortened frs shafts... Unless focus ones fit a puma?? Possibly focus hubs too.

Yeah, I'm running 2 ECU's, for that exact reason. Mine wouldn't connect to any computers, but when he datalogger the sensors on IDS it logged the wheel speed, so that's how I narrowed it down!

Changing to cable shift is quite easy, and it's smoother shifting. I'm thinking of going MTX for mine, I'm putting mine on the dyno within the hour so I'll see if my power curve has changed. But I think your gearbox is a warning, although I'm probably running less torque then you, about 280lb/ft.

Put my car on the dyno again today, the blue line is todays run, the red line is the run from the last time i got it dyno'd. Its running more power and torque now, but less low down, so im going to put the first 4000rpm of the original map on, and the rest from my new map and it should work well.

Dyno2.jpg

It made 348bhp and 397nm torque, so im happy with that, ill need a gearbox upgrade if i want to run any more then that, ill possibly look at upgrading the gearbox next!

also remembered to take a datalog this time, very pleased with it, at 19.8psi, the Inlet temps were 44 degrees max on the 1st run, the outside air temp was 19 degrees, so i really cant grumble at that! Exhaust gas temp went no higher then 670 degrees which is very good for 20psi of boost, water temp went to a max of 113 degrees, again, not bad for nearly 350bhp!

Datalog.jpg

That's massive power :) nice one.

Erm, not sure about torque. Mine is 277 lbs at hubs, so guessing more torque there as yours is estimated at the fly?

Awesome power, bet you don't want to tune it down now?!

Well my torque is 293 ft/lbs estimated at the crank, so at the wheels id estimate about 250 at the wheels based on a 15% loss, but my bhp figures might be higher so id put that down to a bigger turbo, less back pressure, cam lift and duration and timing, & more lag! But i dont think mine will have as much stress on the gears as yours as yours will put more torque in low down, the faster the box is going when the torque is applied, the less stress will be applied, and yours has more torque full stop!

But the power is addictive, im thinking of upgrading the box, then putting the 2.3 ranger bottom end on mine!! :lol: That will make the turbo spool up sooner, and give me more power through the full range! :twisted:

I've been keeping an eye on you with this build. Although half of it makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever, I've found it very interesting and informative... well, the bits I understand!

It's nice to see an FRP with the power it deserves! :eek:k:

topmansparkie said:
I've been keeping an eye on you with this build. Although half of it makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever, I've found it very interesting and informative... well, the bits I understand!

It's nice to see an FRP with the power it deserves! :eek:k:

Thanks mate, i know a lot of people didnt, and still probably dont like what ive done with the car, but its just what i wanted to do, a love driving it again now, even though it kills my wallet on the fuel!! Ive got the suspension handling the way i want it, the engine driving the way i want it (although ive just tweaked the ignition timing up to about 10 degrees around 2800 to get the power back that i lost from the 1st dyno).

I appreciate the comments, and im sure we can swap notes on stuf to get you up to speed on anything you dont understand, if you teach me about the LED's and stuff i dont have a clue about! :wink:

PumaNoob said:
I appreciate the comments, and im sure we can swap notes on stuf to get you up to speed on anything you dont understand, if you teach me about the LED's and stuff i dont have a clue about! :wink:
Sounds fair...!

I can't see how people can dislike what you have done..... Yeah, I agree the FRP is limited edition and won't be around forever... but neither will we!

What you are doing is giving it a new lease of life. Giving it a character it looks like it should've had right from the start. The FRPs stance looks like it has big power and is fast.... so why shouldn't it!?

I love the FRP for its design and looks, not for what is underneath!

I couldn't agree more! Although I think ford would have been mental to put 350bhp in the FRP, 250 would have been awesome, and the quickest car in its class. The contenders would be the rover tomcat turbo, calibra turbo, Peugeot 406 coupe, & fiat coupe turbo, and the integra and civic type R. Nothing would touch it. A damn shame ford cut the funding on the FRP when they did!

Back