FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PumaNoob said:
they have given me enough work to allow me to pay for pretty much the rest of the repair and the rest of the engine bits I needed. :)

Oooh you just reminded me I haven't even updated my thread!! Can officially cross cams off my list now, thanks again Erroll :grin:

trueblue said:
PumaNoob said:
There are some amazing people on this forum, I'm still getting continued support from a lot of members on here!

More like a family than a forum :)

Well with Christmas coming and we are all g
Family .......

Just looked through your thread.I bet it goes well.Shame about the damage.

Yeah that's the same car, and they are right in the fact that the rules I the track were thrown out the window that day for a lot of people, a lot of illegal overtaking and a lot of reckless driving. Perhaps some might consider my driving was reckless, I allowed myself to be pushed beyond my comfort zone and spun the car on track. But I'm sure any of you with little track experience know what it's like to be on a track session, and you've got a car pretty much in your boot before the warm up lap has even finished, it's very intimidating! So imagine yourself in a 400bhp car, with someone pushing you around the first bend nearly touching your bumper, then there's a nice long straight ahead if you. 9 out of 10 people would do as I did and plant it to try and gain some clearence as the last thing you need is to be driving in the middle of a group! I just didn't slow down enough when I got to the next bend, and got lift off oversteer. It's what track days are for, to push your car and yourself to your limit. But when there is someone trying to overtake you it changes the game. The focus driver was only doing what everybody else was doing that day, he was pushing himself to try and get a quicker exit onto the next straight.

One thing is for sure, I will NEVER take my car on another fordfair track day session if they are not policed better then they have been, but I will certainly be doing more proper track days.

I haven't done track days before, I tend to be quite protective of my cars and cringe at the idea of even a slight scratch :/

Just seemed like the thread was making assumptions without any connection whatsoever, bit of negative emphasis about blame etc.

I have just one rule: never to drive my car on a track. That is it. There is always someone who feels like Lewis Hamilton for a day or a session, diving in, cutting corners that shouldn't be cut, or simply pushing you to the bumper in the middle of a corner instead of waiting for a next strech. I am not saying the other driver is to blame, or that you did something wrong, simply that shit happens. I prefer a nice road, somewhere in the middle of nowhere and to have a blast.
Only my two cents

PS: I hope your car is hitting the road soon!

A nice quiet rd is nice, but you can't safely push your car to it's limits there, there's always a chance you can encounter other drivers or Police!

You are 100% correct, putting it bluntly, shit happens!! We were both to blame, without one parties actions, the other party wouldn't have crashed. I have no malice towards the focus driver, maybe he don't feel the same about me but he came out a lot worse off as his car was worth around £7-8k, and I think it would be very difficult to just write that off as a bad experience, & it's very difficult to just be happy that nobody was hurt. Things could have been a lot worse that day, his reactions at best saved me from a hospital visit, and I dread to think what a worse case scenario would be.

So the outcome was far from desirable, but I thank my lucky stars that I just left the car with a bruised ego and dented wallet!

As that post says though, there was another Racing Puma that spun on track that day in exactly the same place mine did, he probably made exactly the same errors I did, but nobody was overtaking him at the time so he just carried on his session. If those track sessions were organised properly with safety in mind rather then cramming as many cars on as possible to make money, then there is very little chance of damaging your car, it's surely got to be safer then doing it on the streets.

Blue3 said:
Went down to PB today with Errol, mini Errol and Mrs Errol, the car is looking spot on, so photos attached
Watch out Alex !!!!

Looking sweet as Errol! Can't wait to see it being built back up!

Alex

Thanks Alex, I don't think it's been touched for weeks, I went down a few weeks back to put the doors and locks back together and it was still in the same state as in these pics. They must have had a lot on, & it suits me to have the car there rather then on my drive open to the elements, as the engine is not rebuild fully yet. There was also a reaction in the paint on the bonnet so that needs to be done again, & they have been trying to get me a bumper. Typical that 4 turned up at the same time lol! I'll be updating with some engine pics in the meantime, it's nearly finished now!

The engine build will be the same in most ways, same 8.5:1 compression ratio, Carillo rods and pistons with ARP 2000 bolts. ARP head and main bolts, Clevite rod and main bearings, same turbo and same inlet manifold. There are a 4 differences with this build that I'm hoping will give me more mid range power and street drivability. The first is the addition of VCT, I'm hoping it should broaden the power band a little. The Second is the addition of the higher ports of the later duratecs, the design should allow better flow. The 3rd is a lower duration inlet cam, and possibly a stock exhaust cam, again hopefully increasing mid range power. The last is the biggest difference that I'm hoping will give me more torque and power throughout the entire rev range. Some of you already know what that is some don't, but I'll leave it open to guessing, but it's the best possible way to get a turbo spooling quicker (without using Nos)! I'll try and add a few clues later!

As ive said before mate, this new engine will be a serious bit of kit :) and if you ever need a hand etc :grin:

Thanks Ryan, hopefully it will be what i want it to be!!

Ok, so ive been building the engine, here are some pics

Oil return welded into the block rather then the sump. This is because the oil return in the sump is on the back, so when i accelerate hard, theres a chance oil could surge to the rear and block it. I never had an issue with the old engine, but it neatens the oil return up a little and allows me to remove the sump without having to remove the oil return.

Here is the first clue about the biggest difference between this engine and the last!

Most wont know what the hell that is, but anyone that knows the duratecs will know what that is and what it means!

And next, this is what happens if you over torque conrod bolts. These are ARP 2000 conrod bolts, the bolt on the left is the original bolt size, the bolt on the right is an over torqued bolt! The tolerable stretch in these bolts is around 0.5mm. That bolt has stretched 3mm!!

The very odd thing is that both these bolts are exactly the same type, from exactly the same batch, and so the tensile strength and stretch of both under the same load should be identical. But both these bolts were torqued to exactly the same specs, 75 ft/lbs, so both should have the same deformation and the same stretch!

d170sam said:
Balance shaft delete?
You got it buddy!! I under estimate you guys too much, I thought "they'll not know what that is"!
So do you know what that means, if it has a balance shaft delete kit? :)

PumaNoob said:
d170sam said:
Balance shaft delete?
You got it buddy!! I under estimate you guys too much, I thought "they'll not know what that is"!
So do you know what that means, if it has a balance shaft delete kit? :)

Doesn't it mean that there is no drag on the crank from the balance shaft, meaning you have to get the bottom balanced properly but then you have an engine that can rev more easily and to higher rpm? I was under the impression it was similar mod to flywheel lightning?

Back