FRP Exhaust issues - Big Moan lol

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:grin:

Thought i'd post a big old moan about the state of the exhaust systems on FRP's these days... :x

Anyway, before I pass any big opinions I have, I thought i'd present a few hard FACTS!

Firstly, as we all know the original Janspeed system was a Steel system with flange fit joints

The only 'flexi' part of the system was actually at the sealing ring at the bottom of the manifold, this was neatly designed into the system by using a MACHINED OUT spacer in between the flanges, that when tightened up lipped over the shoulder of the bolt and prevented any further tightening and so the springs were only partially compressed (you see where this is going :idea: )... also the nature of the mild steel design also allowed for a certain amount of flex in the material itself.

The system fitted well and sounded superb!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a picture of the shouldered bolt and machined out spacer

jGs8wT.jpg

I doubt there's many owners out there now that even know this existed..

OK, so you can see the state of the other bolt.. this is because the spacers are now all a thing of the past, they are all discarded (often because they rusted onto the bolt and were not easy to separate)

So basically what i'm saying is, if you're not using the original design, don't bother fitting the springs!...they're completely pointless and just get crushed down anyway...

there's an inherent problem in the whole design in that the only point of flexibility is where you're trying to get a good seal on the Crush ring. Which also leads me on another thing. The original sealing ring was literally a 'crush' ring that allowed you to crush it down and achieve a decent seal. The ones you get now are as hard as a brick and very tightly woven. There's no way you're getting a seal up to that unless you can clamp it with reasonable torque.

Over the years, the flange fit design has become more inaccurate making the systems hard to match up. When you then take into account the material used now, Stainless Steel which is very brittle and rigid, some of the systems now fitted are so ridiculously rigid that it is making the exhaust and the whole engine rigid too.

I fitted a stainless manifold last year that was so long, when I connected it up to the rest of the exhaust I found I couldn't get the bolt in the lower torque mount anymore as it had tilted the whole engine so much... I had to 'make it fit' as you do with many copied parts...

Check out this picture...this is a great example...

JFVsQC.jpg

The exhaust is so rigid from poor fit that the mount can't absorb anything or even fit correctly as it just stretched to death... The springs are crushed down and loads of exhaust seal has been applied in a desperate attempt to make a seal. The cat shroud isn't there either...

Also, with regards to stainless/steel etc...the stainless systems I have seen are all welded up with mild steel fittings and flanges which present the same rust issues years down the line anyway... I just can't see any benefits to the stainless systems at all. They don't even sound very nice :lol: They're not a patch on the original system...

I've been in one or two frp's that were so loud you literally just wanted to get out after a few minutes of driving..

I think it's a shame that the current systems sound so poor compared to the original and no-one has put any real thought or care into actually improving it..

Anyway... i'm going to be a rebel... I'm going to develop a whole new mild steel system...more on that soon...

Chris :cool:

After hearing you tell me about the above before Chris, I have to admit I was worried about putting the new full Piper system on the FRP when I rebuilt it, but (he says with fingers crossed) that it's been bang on once you told me how to get the damn manifold in!

No excessive pressure, the dogbone popped back in no problem with plenty of wiggle room. The crush ring at the front didn't blow, but there was a blow from the back despite a brand new gasket. I did have to smear a very thin layer of Gun Gum on both sides of the gasket and rear clamp to get it sealed, but does seem bang on now.

You could be right about the mild steel flanges, and the springs in the front, but it doesn't leak any gasses so I'm grateful for small mercies.

I've managed to track down a proper cat heat shield, but it's a little rough. Any idea if you can still get them new from anywhere?

Look forward to the proper mild steel example for sound purposes, stainless does resonate quite a bit.

No one has made a shroud for the cat since the original ones unfortunately. . Mine will come with one on (hopefully )

I think the stainless manifold was my most disappointing part of the Janspeed mk2 system. . Bolting tinny stainless pipe onto an engine does seem daft really when you think about it. .lol

ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]354377[/post] Did you buy that rear gasket on ebay? They're not a very good fit at all... the seller doesn't know how big the pipe is.. :lol:

No, it was in the fitting kit from Piper

First fitting and test of my new Exhaust system done now...really pleased with the fit, quality and sound of the system so far...

The manifold isn't quite ready yet as the top flange has taken some time to get a pattern made up...

but here is a first view of the center section and back box... The idea was to create a nice deep burble rather than the tinny loud sound of the stainless versions... first impressions of this systems are that it is still a fair bit louder than the original system but not overly so. I may replace the flexi section for a small cherry bomb silencer to bring the volume down a bit more..not sure yet, at the moment i'm quite liking the way it is... The only tweak I need to make is the exhaust hanger at the front of the cnter section which is in the wrong place... not the welders fault, that's exactly how the piper one was that the pattern was made from... the other two sections have been made from the Janspeed original system and will be to the nearest few millimetres in fit accuracy...

TAGLa8.jpg

1xtcwM.jpg

1dHMZj.jpg

2gJYVU.jpg

Latest posts

Back