FRP Gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSP

I'm after an FRP gearbox, will pay £300 and can collect, depending on where you are.

I thought I'd bought one on eBay last week but that appears to have gone sour. :evil:

Many thanks.

I've got a LSD FRP box for sale, but I would want slightly more than £300.

You also need a FRP clutch pipe which has a valve inside the pipe to stop you distorting your clutch.

Having spoken to LMS re clutch pipe... I already have a paddle clutch fitted, so it won't be an issue if I've not got the pipe.

What sort of condition is the gearbox in? How many miles etc.

Bentleya said:
You also need a FRP clutch pipe which has a valve inside the pipe to stop you distorting your clutch.

Hi Aaron.

What the deal with the FRP clutch pipe? Why was it modified on the Racing?

Seems like a huge modification to do to commission say a 1000 new bespoke parts. Cause at manufacturing level cars are at 1000 would be an expensive part. They must have deemed it justifiable to do so.....

Cheers

Ally

Peter Beattie confirmed that the pipe has a valve in it which was primarily there to stop journalists dropping the clutch and breaking the gearbox, so it only releases 50% of the pressure initially then releases the remainder slower.

Blue3 said:
Peter Beattie confirmed that the pipe has a valve in it which was primarily there to stop journalists dropping the clutch and breaking the gearbox, so it only releases 50% of the pressure initially then releases the remainder slower.

Might be worth changing to a standard pipe then.....

This is how I heard it, I will stand corrected if I'm wrong :)
The FRP was originally fitted with a standard 1.7 clutch which was fine until you 'dropped' the clutch....6000 rpm then release clutch pedal. This is how some of the journalists road tested the cars. The two stage clutch release was the solution fitted to the press cars, and was subsequently fitted to all the production cars.
It actually prevents damage to the clutch rather than the gearbox. If you fit an uprated clutch or don't set off like a 'journalist' then you won't need the special clutch pipe.
Paul

The original puma's had a bigger connector where it meets the gearbox, so when a clutch was replaced you had to bend the pipe over to meet the box... They fixed this issue by re-shaping the pipe and fitting a new item so it would look more 'professional' :)

If there is such a 'valve' it's probably an item that's already part of the operation of the standard servo...

Reminds me of all the 'shot peened' nonsense...

There's no way that project could have funded a custom made gearbox with stronger gears in it... just ridiculous! all they did was select a ratio/final drive etc that was readily available that would suit the car.. and that's it!

The LSD was offered as an option in my opinion because it just wasn't good and reliable enough to throw into every car, plus again, it would have upped the cost too much... Interesting that they called it specifically a 'track day' option.... that's because they eat tyres on opposite sides and ruin the feel of the steering!.. :lol:

Latest posts

Back