frp nitrous install

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeFRP

Now ive been collecting the kit for some time now, and have finally took the plunge to have it installed :)

First the kit :- Its a wizards of nos street blaster kit with 11lb bottle with a max extreme street progressive controller. I do have the transducers for monitoring fuel and nitrous pressure but we ran out of time to install them so that will be at a latter date with the bottle heater.

Chris (eldood) is a Wizards of nos agent now so he can fit the kits, and im soo glad he did. The attention to detail and time spent on the car was fantastic to say the least, cant thankyou enough chris. :D

For my first bottle we installed the 25hp jets and i must say this setting even makes a huge difference to the frp. I honestly didnt think there would be so much difference with such a small jet! cant wait to stick the 50hp in, haha.

After being in Chris's along time ago with the nitrous i new that the delivery of the system with the max extreme is awesome, its really like having an instant turbo with a progresion of your choice as you can set anything through the max :)

The kit does really need to be seen to be believed, as chris has said, the frp has always lacked the power! well i can definately say 246 isnt now :twisted:

anyways enough typing and his some pics of the install

the arming switch.

0856e134.jpg

9408477e.jpg

79ee4c06.jpg

the bottle and bracket

bb0164e8.jpg

The pulsoids,

15a39aee.jpg

08024b6d.jpg

and finally the controller

0856e134.jpg

0ae015ce.jpg

539dfcc2.jpg

finally want to thank chris for the amount of time and effort hes put into the install, not just on mine but the week beforehand trial fitting it to the fez, lol. Really is awesome :)

as you say im a wizard in training, haha.

Thats a nice install! All the stuff about NOS wrecking your engine is normally pub gossip rubbish from a mate of a mate's friends uncles brother who's never actually used it!

Thanks zara, yeah it's amazing :) well happy with it.

Il second the pub talk comment. I was one of them until I experienced nitrous. Haha.

Top work although not as stealthy as mine :p. No one spotted mine at Fiesta in the Park....lol.

As per my e-mail, glad your enjoying it, now get the 50 jets put in and really feel the power mate :eek:k:

Little tip, I have my controller on a multiblock connector and it fits into my glovebox on velcro so I can whip it out on a whim, saves anyone enjoying the nitrous if they decide they want to pinch the Puma....lol. Mind you, they'd have to work out which switch was for the system first. ;)

i await the test ride matey lol

Good job on the install- think it might be a addition to bee

Got to say that looks very tidy.

If you dont mind me asking what did it set you back? Always wanted to see what nitrous feels like.

Looking forward to seeing videos of it in use.

Thanks guys. Yip you will have another email in the morn, haha.

Trying to get use to the settings is tough, lol. I'm sure I will know what the he'll I'm doing soon, haha.

Scotty you can have a test drive whenever you like :) pop round whenever

I will be doing some quick tests to see what jets I want in. Want it to be safe but still have the fun factor of it without using the nitrous too quick. Lol. Chris has 60 jets in and says it's a massive difference even from the 50's. :)

Looking forward to many happy miles, it feels like driving a completely different car :)

:grin:

I'll get one of the new brackets over to you soon mate... lot nicer than my aluminium 'twist' lol

Had to put the shrader valve back in the fiesta so i could move it to get the other FRP out, and the bloody thing broke on tightening.. :evil: doesn't look like i'll be having any Nitrous in the fiesta for a while now..lol :? :?

Let me know when your coming back for the the 50 jets, heater install and your bottle back..lol :lol: :lol:

Have Fun!

Chris

Ah bollox, sorry mate. Your fez did get abit abused for parts :(

Does look awesome your bracket mate :) helps with the fancy x10s :)

Towards the end of august would probly be best, let my bank balance recover abit, haha.

The hardest thing I found getting used to was changing gear early when on the gas. I try and only use it between 2500rpm and 5000rpm as there is so much more torque it's a waste to use the gas high up in the revs so i just let the torque do it's stuff instead of revving the nuts out of the car like I would without the gas.

Fortunately for you your controller can be set to cut the gas automatically for you at whatever revs you decide whereas mine doesn't so I have to check myself otherwise it'll stay on due to my switch being on the throttle pedal, gonna fit a dual activation system so I can keep my foot in but disarm the nitrous, might eventually upgrade to a Max but no need for the mo - hasn't taken me long to learn to shift early just through feel which is made easier due to the huge hike in torque, which is of course what gives the thrill and acceleration anyway which makes it easier to judge.

Still haven't got the 'perfect' setup that I want to stick to but it'll come sooner or later......then I'll put in bigger jets and screw it all up again....lol.

Yeah I need to have a good sit down and play with the settings. Chris and yourself have give me afew good ones. :)

Mines cutting in at 1900 rpm and deactivating at 6900rpm. Most I have reved to yet is bout 6 and it's still much quicker than standard on these jets, lol.

Looking forward to testing the 50's and getting the heater etc hooked up :)

As above, I found it's just a waste in the high revs as the nitrous has got you up to around 5/5.5k rpm much quicker than NA and just isn't needed or felt much above that in my experience. You can come off the gas and you won't feel much difference as the nitrous has done the hard work for you.

All my experience I might add, as for what difference it makes on the clock above 5.5k rpm I don't actually know until I get it on the strip but even then I don't expect to get near that revs in 5th on a standing quarter.

For me it's the overtaking ability it now gives me which is the buzz. I can be pootling along in 5th then as soon as I hit the button the car takes off so I no longer need to change down at any speed. When I do change down and floor it all hell lets loose....lol.

Yeah really see what you mean with the low down power :)

What tests did you do on and off the nitrous to compare?

Not many so far but did a few when I first got the kit and then one more when I got the new X-10's. As I said in my e-mails I believe I'm running rich and have fitted jets to make sure I am even more until I know for definate. All the tests below were run on a 0.25 second nitrous delay and a 3 second ramp from 20% to 100% if I remember correctly. Haven't done any 0-60's or other through gear times as I wanted exact like for like times in a single gear to make an exact comparison. Oh, these were done mostly on my old pulsoids which I believe were in the need of a service as can be seen by the improvement with the X-10's.

So far (improvements in brackets):-
Standard;-
30-70 in 3rd: 10.44
60-80 in 5th: 11.81
80-100 in 5th: 12.78

Jets 40/20:-
30-70 in 3rd: 8.37 (2 sec)
60-80 in 5th: 8.97 (2.8 sec)

Jets 100/50:-
60-80 in 5th: 7.07 (4.7 sec)
80-100 in 5th: 9.18 (3.6 sec)

New X-10's, Jets 100/50:-
60-80 in 5th: 5.90 (6 sec)

Concerning my jetting, what jets do you run at the moment as I'm sure Chris will have given you the ideal ratio so it will give me an idea if I'm well rich or just right with mine. Gonna have to get the wideband sensor and A/F guage fitted so I know exactly.

Cheers :eek:k:

Mike is using 25fuel jet - 50 N2O

probably a bit rich without the heater but on a warm day the bottle will be up to 800ish anyways..

A warm bucket of water for 10mins would bring it up a bit tho...if you can be arsed :lol:

Chris

Cheers Chris. :eek:k:

Need myself a new pressure guage as mine's useless. It shows around 900-950psi most times and when it's warm out it goes up to 1200psi plus!!!!!. Shit myself when I first saw that and used it all up incase I lost it all when the valve went. Then Trevor said my guage was obviously goosed and I believe they don't blow anyway until a hell of a lot more, can't remember the exact figure.

May have to invest in a bottle heater once I get the guage sorted and see if I've been running low pressure. Hopefully it'll show I have then there's even MORE improvement to come :happee:

generally speaking the standard gauges over read compared to the more accurate transducers...

you could get the transducer and wire that back to a digital readout.. that would look kind of cool.. :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/52mm-DIGITAL-NITROUS-PRESSURE-NOS-GAUGE-METER-W-SENSOR-/200629747451?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb676fefb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back