FRP Rear wheel bearing

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethanfitz

Hi everyone

I believe i have a bad wheel bearing :-( only came to light when i had a break pipe replaced recently. New problem for me, probably been there for ages but i had such a loud exhaust i couldn't hear it lol.

I have been told its on the Rear drivers side. (i will confirm later when i get home and find the piece of paper i wrote it down on.)
Here is the thing....

I have a FRP rear axle so what bearing do i need to get for that?
Is it an easy job to do yourself or should i just get the part and let a garage do it?
If i could do it myself what would i need to do it?

Also i have been looking around and it has been said that this bearing will fit the FRP Hub i have on the FRP axle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110701905622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

is this the right bearing kit to get? (has anyone used this one before?)

Thanks for the help in advance XD

This is where i saw this info: http://www.rpoc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1727
wanted to make sure i get the right part :)

You need a bearing from a mk1 Focus.

The Ford bearings are made by FAG.

I would only recommend getting a bearing from Ford, FAG or SKF. All other cheaper bearings will breakdown quickly and you will have to pay to change them again.

You need a hydraulic press to remove and replace any wheel bearing on the FRP. If you confident with tools, remove the hub from the stub axle yourself. Then take the hub along with your new bearing kit to a garage with a press, the garage can fit the bearing and you can then fit the hub back to the stub axle.

Ahh ok do you know where i could get hold of an SKS or FAG ONE? any links?

What have other people replaced theirs with before?

Just been quoted £50 for the fitting so that's not to bad just need to find the right part for a good price. There is so many other things i still have to do to this car so im trying to keep costs down where i can...

Thanks for the help.

You can get SKF and FAG bearings from eBay and most good motor factors.

Is that £50 for the garage to do all the work themselves?

Yep Apparently i just have to get the bearing.... this is the same garage that quoted me £50 to replace my exhaust system and after 3 hours of cutting the old on off and putting the new one on properly they still honored the £50 good guys there :p

Fair enough :). Below is a link to a FAG rear wheel bearing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360733030038?redirect=mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bingo thanks a lot i found a few SKF ones but i must have been typing like a noob into ebay couldn't find any FAG ones
If thats the one i need then i will most likely get that one :thumbs:

SKF (Svenska KullagerFabriken) bearing should be top notch if they are good enough for Rolls-Royce. ;)
They have only been making bearings for 107 years..

Just don't over-tight rear bearings

skf bearings :cool: all the way...but bearing :cool: in mind the usage has a big bearing :cool: on the wheel bearings :cool: life, salt and water get in and then your buggered...bearing :cool: in mind you will have to change the bearing :cool: again...sorry couldn't resist...

just done mine yesterday,very poor design,no seal against ingress of crap

Thanks for the help everyone.

I ended up getting the FAG on (just ordered it) at least this way i know it will fit for sure with no problems...

Thanks again

Back