FRP Tyres

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibbie

Time has come to get some new tyres for my FRP the rubbishy tyres on the front are annoying me especially in the wet and the paradas are pretty much done so time to bite the bullet and get 4 new tyres (I'm sure I remember reading a breakdown on here of how different tyres perform on the FRP but can't find it now!).

Camskills have got the Pirelli PZero Nero GT at a good price but as they're a new tyre there is little in the way of reviews for them, wondering if it is worth spending a little extra and getting the Pilot Sport 3s? Uniroyal Rainsport 3s seem to be getting very good reviews but I know that the rainsport 2s were far too soft so wondering if the RS3s will feel right on such a sharp handling car?

At the moment I'm thinking to just go with the PZero Nero GTs as they'll be a whole lot better than what I've got on it now... but if anyone knows any better please let me know.

Cheers (running on standard FRP alloys)

Paradas are great in the dry, but looking for good all-round tyres living in the North West of England got to be prepared for driving in the wet every now and then!

I get your point mate, I have the paradas on mine and don't have problems in the wet cos I don't drive it in the wet :lol:
And if I get caught out I just take extra care.
Paul

I might act as a guinea pig with the Nero GT's and report back to PP after I've done some mileage on them.

Thumbs up for Rainsport 3's here - had two on the front of my 1.7 for a few months.

After much research and deliberating decided to go for Vredsteins. They're on their way hopefully have them fitted in the next two weeks.

Will report back how I get on with them... they're going to be (I'm hoping) instantly better than the $%it I've got on the fronts at the moment, that said I still can't believe how well the FRP corners even with rubbish tyres on the front, so excited to see what difference these tyres are going to make!

There is FRP tyre review thread on Pumapeople.com :cool:

IMO there are only 2 or 3 really good road tyres for the FRP on the market at the moment

Pilot exalto's
PZero's

are easily the best two road tyres BY FAR!

Yoko Advans probably better still on track if you can get them....

Too late now ha ha! Didn't see any Exalto's that weren't insanely priced, not sure if Michelin are phasing them out? Very nearly went for Pilot Sport 3's and was tempted by the Pirelli's but in the end I based it on the reviews off the tyrereview website:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-3-PS3.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/PZero-Nero.htm

Just couldn't justify the extra spend on the Pirelli's or Michelins when the Vredestein appear to be every bit as good (the saving will be going on something else on the FRP!)... we will see I decided I wanted a tyre that was good in the wet and dry and had a sporty feel to them the Vredestein's seem to tick all those three boxes. Sure it will be a lot better setup than I have currently. Will keep you all updated!

As much as I would love to I won't be venturing onto the track with my FRP

Love this review of the tyres that my FRP came with (Accelera Alpha) from a fellow Puma driver :lol: :
"I bought the car on a warm dry day with Accelera Alphas at the front and BF Goodrich on the rear. A Ford Puma's handling is legendary and these tyres seemed to do the job then... I took it out a wet day (it's a hobby car and I don't usually do this) I nearly killed myself at the first bend. I wasn't going fast but the tyres simply failed to grip. There was massive understeer and I found myself on the wrong side of the road: fortunately there was nobody around.

After I had recovered myself, I tried a quick start: the things skidded like mad and the car shot off in zigzags.

Oh, they wear fairly well and are quiet, so if this is your priority and you don't mind dying early in a wet ditch or on the bumper of a lorry, these are for you."

Tyres arrived, No locking wheel nut key... have to wait a bit longer for my new tyres :-( hopefully getting sorted tomorrow

I used Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta on my old FRP with no issues at all, I quite liked them actually and wouldn't discount them again if I had a similar tyre requirement.

Found my locking wheel nut key on the floor in the garage! ! Couldn't believe it! Cost me £60 extra to get the locking wheel nuts off :-( but done now can't wait to test the new tyres out.

Latest posts

Back