fuel leak

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdiablo

Hi all I have swapped my old pug 306 for a puma 1.7 a week ago 6 months tax full years test serviced every year till 3 years ago everything seems fine lovely drive but I have just filled the car up with petrol to go away for a few days and noticed she is leaking fuel from somewhere next to passenger rear wheel arch took it to ford for a health check and they say my fuel tank and breather pipe is corroded ( £450 ) along with a list as long as my arm for other repairs ie springs on the front are broken I have since checked the springs myself and they seem fine to me does anyone have any suggestions and prices on the fuel leak or price and best place for a new fuel tank and breather thanks in advance

Hi
The first thing with an old car is not to take it to the main dealers as they will charge you the earth. If you have a jack and axle stands you can have a look underneath. The fuel filler system is mainly plastic apart from about 10" of 2 rubber pipes into the tank. If the rubber pipes aren't leaking I should look for marks on the side of the tank to see if it's leaking. If there's no leak from there have a look at the filter and pipes which are located to the left and front of the petrol tank. The filter is supplied by push on pipes and they could possibly be leaking. The front springs are easy. If you take the wheels off you should be able to notice if the springs are broken. they can be broken on the spring seat though, so watch out for that.
Barry

Thanks barry will have a look at that in the morning and let you know what I find I also contacted the bloke I swapped the car with and he said he put new struts on the front for the mot and the springs were all good but will double check the bottom of the spring

If the spring has broke at the bottom, you may see the coils overlapping as mine were when I bought my Puma...

WP_20130706_002_zpsee0d4343.jpg

Cheers cherry had a look at the springs and they look ok no over lapping might upgrade them soon anyway just to be on the safe side lol

Never EVER take your car to a dealership... they're there to make as much money out of you as they can... hence the £450 quote for replacing your fuel tank :shock:

As suggested.... get under the car and have a look to see where it's leaking from..
You can get replacement parts for not too much money :eek:k:

New fuel tanks can be had on ebay for £65 (just type in fuel tank for ford puma on ebay).
It is likely that the tank is leaking in the area where the main fuel input neck meets the body of the angled face of the tank.
Plastic Padding have a repair paste called Leak Fix that really works, I have used it on the area described above.( it has been working for a year ) worth a try. Just clean all round the neck and spread paste over offending are and allow to harden.

Latest posts

Back