Garage floor painting - preparation

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Arch Bishop

I'm looking for some tips from any top DIY'ers!

I've had to clear out my garage this weekend after a freak flood. It's all dried out now, but while everything is out, I have decided that it's time to paint the floor.

However, as with anything preparation is the key! I've bought some concrete hardener and dust sealant as well as some decent quality floor paint. However, because the garage has always been a little damp, I was advised to get some tanking slurry to help seal it up.

So, I have no idea of these potions and paints. Can I tank-slurry the floor and some of the adjoining wall and then stabilise and paint, or do I use the stabiliser and then the slurry and finally paint?

Any help appreciated chums!

Hi Lee
I was hoping someone with more knowledge would have answered this but as far as I know you have to wait for the floor and the weather to be dry otherwise the floor paint will take forever to dry.
Barry

Hey Barry, I've got all the time in the world (well, until about the end of September) until I want to put a car in there! I've heard that car tyres have a tendency to lift the paint if they're hot when you drive them in, but other than that it's worth doing.

I don't know anything about it really but i was wanting to sort my garage out at some point in the future... i found this a while back... not sure if it is the right thing but looked pretty promising so i put it in my watch list...
its like a pre-seal you can have on its own or before the paint i believe...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151415625...49&var=450605654576&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Others may have better knowledge on if it work though... will keep an eye on this for when i get the time to sort mine out...

I've got that Marl paint pre-sealer - well, about 15 litres of the 20 I had to start with. While it certainly does keep the dust down, the paint you put over the top will never really adhere to the floor, only the pre-seal and so tyres will lift it. We left the pre seal and the paint for twice / three times as long as recommended before using the floor and it still lifted up.

If I was doing it again, I'd be using an epoxy floor paint that sets rock hard and tyres won't lift.

PS: I've also got an unopened 20L tin of the Marl light grey paint to go with the 15L pre sealer. If anyone wants it in exchange for a few beer tokens, they can have it as it's just taking up space in the (dust free) garage.

ahhh i knew someone would know about it.... i was thinking of painting the walls and floor in that pre-seal stuff but might not paint over the top of it .. do you reckon it would be alright for that Dal and not lift up?

Hi Lee
I painted my garage floor over a few days recently. My floor surface is quite rough and I found spreading the clear pre-seal + first coat of the paint hard going with a roller. And the coverage wasn't as good as it supposed to be (possibly for the same reason) so I had to keep going back to wickes for more!

But it was worth it. It has stopped all the dust, and so far my puma's tyres havent lifted the paint - ive been careful to let the tyres cool down before putting her away. I'm no expert & not sure about the slurry but my instinct would be to wait until it's fully dry. I also installed a weather strip which has stopped any more rainwater coming under the door. A few pics in this thread:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28999

Good luck with it
Will

Looks good Will! I've bought the Everbuild stuff which has good reviews but one person said that the pre-treatment made the paint lift very easily. May have to try a small patch first to see what happens.

Back