Gear box installation 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujipuma

HI, Is there some trick to getting the gearbox in position? I've got it aligned with the engine, but I cannot seem to get it to move that last half inch onto the engine block( the engine is in the car). Could there be something in the way, or something to align, or is it just a question of perserverance and wiggling it into position.

Cheers, Peter

If you have it aligned And the clutch plate aligned right, some times all you need is a quick turn of the engine.

make sure there's no wiring loom/pipes etc hanging down in the way.. :idea:

When iv'e got it an inch away i tend to take my gloves off, lie right underneath it (it's supported on the back edge with a jack) and 'feel' it in with small movments and a bit of wiggle... iv'e noticed the more you get pissed off with it, the more it just refuses to go in :lol:

if you insert a tripod housing into the nearside shaft entry and turn that too, that can help to locate the splines :idea:

Chris
FRP453

have a cuppa and then go back to it,might help to turn the crank a little bit if its easier that way,and a little bit of grease on the spline shaft also helps if you havnt done that already :eek:k:

Hi, Thanks for all the tips, but it still will not go in. There is nothing in the way, and I can feel it "engage" in one position, but in that position, the gap is not the same all the way around. When I turn the diff with a tripod, it does not seem to make difference.
Two questions : how important is the alignment of the gearbox and engine, and secondly, should they both meet easily when in position, or do I have to do the last bit by tightening up the bolts. Do I have to tighten up against the clutch splines? Thanks for any suggestions.

Frustrated of Perpignan.

1. The horizontal angle of the crankshaft has to carry through to the same angle of the spigot shaft i.e. if gap between the engine and gearbox is uniform. Once you get it right, both faces meet perfectly flush.
2. Do not tighten against the splines(you'll damage them), sounds like the clutch plate is not aligned,
Also clean the splines in case of some of them are corroded, also make sure the clutch plate is correct.

Hi, Guru, Thanks for your continued interest! I'm only changing the gearbox, - I have not touched the clutch, so the chance of a misalignement is small. I'm thinking at present of getting a bit more movement in the engine - the exhaust is still attached, the side support is still bolted down, and the engine is supported on a jack. Hence I think i need a bit more jiggling room!

Names mix2000 btw, guru is just representative of the no. of posts I have inflicted on ProjectPuma :lol:

Is it possible you have the wrong box or a damaged spigot?
If not and your gap is close enough. just screw in the bolts as a support and guide (don't tighten).
Then start wiggling while someone turns the engine by hand.

Hi, THanks for all your tips - finally got the gearbox in. Problem was that I had messed about with it so much that the splines on the clutch had got burred! Took it off, filed them down, and put it back. Turning the diff didnt help, but turning the crankcase did, and it slipped on nicely.

Problem now is trying to get that clutch hydraulic line circlip back in - little bugger is in a dead awkward place, and just will not go in. Should I push it in from the top or the bottom, half in first, or what

Latest posts

Back