gear linkage removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintGrimm

Has anyone got a step by step on how to remove the gear linkage on a 1.7 or can take pictures of theirs?

Trying to remove mine but can't figure it out :(

13mm on the selector shaft, once that is loose get inside the car and move the gear stick about and the selector shaft will come away from the rod coming out of the box.

If you have trouble getting a tool on that 13mm, have someone hold it in gear inside the car as that will move about as you try and undo it.

If you want to remove the entire stick, 15mm adjacent to that which holds the tie shaft to the car and 2 off 10mm under the car either side of the bottom of the stick, move the heat shield out of the way first. Unscrew the gear knob and the selector mech will be free to leave.

Full details in Haynes Fiesta Manual:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't want a Haynes manual as I can do most stuff on a car, there are a few exceptions though!

My issue is, I have a snapped linkage and I am trying to get the gearbox part out and I can't seem to get it :(
I have removed every bolt I can see but when I pull it still locks as if its selecting gears.

the selecting rod is part of the gearbox... then theres a clamp that goes over that with an M6 nut that secures the linkage pole to the selector gate rod.... the selctor gate rod has a boot over it too...

are you trying to pull off the linkage or the actual selector gate from the gearbox...you can only access the selctor gate itself by stripping down the whole gearbox

The linkage poles are pretty straight forward to undo and pull free from the box

rgds

The Nylon pivot joint should be pretty straight forward to remove off the selecting rod on the box...

it must be in a pretty bad way to break..they normally just get a bit loose...

Iv'e got the part number somewhere of the selection rod if you need it...

ford will know it anyhow

Haven't touched my Puma for a while, it's just been sat there rotting away but went out today but couldn't find my jack so couldn't get under it very well.

Basically, a local scrap yard has a gear linkage from a low mileage Mk5 Fiesta which (according to most of the internet) is the same as the Puma but I still can't get the frigging one off the Puma.

This is what I currently have;
529645_538174432901826_1472161366_n.jpg

As you can see, the plastic joint has snapped and I have cabletied it together (had to move the car so this was my only way to select any gears).
Still can't see why I can't remove the bit that connects to the shaft into the gearbox :( this is all that's holding me back.

575758_538217302897539_246282162_n.jpg

I won! Turns out it was just ridiculously stubborn due to over a decade of being complacent.

Back