Gear stick rattle??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w207

Hi everyone........ok my gear stick has developed a very slight rattle at approx 45-60mph?? Can anyone please tell me what is causing this and how to fix! Thanks for your help!!! :)

Does it rattle as in it wobbles around and makes a noise...? or

Does it rattle as in it makes a noise as it vibrates...?

Wont probably be any help, but:
My gearstick also makes a noise. The best description i can think of is it's like a small ball bearing is vibrating in the bottom of a glass jar, but it only does this at certain engine revs, when it makes the gearstick vibrate at a certain frequency. I have no idea why it does it though.

Will be interesting to see what suggestions other members may have....

Yeah same as "Topmansparkie" I was thinking linkage as in worn bushes, I will investigate and let you know unless anyone has the difinitve answer :?

OK..........I did some research :? apparently a quick fix is to pack the gear linkage with grease!!.........I don't think it will work for everyone as there also seems to be a spring involved somewhere :? but not sure about this. Anyway I packed the linkage and .....WOW it seems to have worked, from what I can gather this could fix the problem forever or for 50,000 miles or not work at all but for me it appears to have worked :) it has to be worth trying for the sake of a bit of grease, was easy to do too. I will keep an eye on it and will report any problems as and when if they occur. :eek:k:

I have this same problem on my Puma, mostly on 5th gear at 100kmh (60mph). Where the gear linkage is located and how can I access it? What kind of grease should be put to there?

EDIT: Answer was found from PumaPeople: http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back