Gearbox Issues!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Had quite a few 'oh sh1t!' moments the last couple of days when I've been unable to get my Puma into gear (usually on downchanges from fifth to fourth, and third to second). The gearlever becomes very stiff, and I can't get much movement at all in neutral either. When I can get some movement, it then won't go into gear. Then the fault will dissappear, and then come back, usually when I'm at some lights and can't find a gear. Is this game over for my 'box? Please say no!

Oh bugger :(

Best case scenario:
It's the link between your gear stick and the gearbox. This can become lose / unstable and make it hard to select the gear. This is quite common.

Worst case scenario:
I hope it's not what I had when I bought mine. The clearance between the 1st gear cog and the gearbox inner wall isn't that big. If people have (not saying you) crunched reverse in, rather than depressing the clutch again to guarantee engagement, then shavings from the reverse cog get sprayed about the gearbox and bind up the box. I had to have mine taken out, stripped, a new reverse cog, rebuilt (new clutch whilst I was at it) and re-fitted. Nearly £800 later it was all fine again.

Thinking about it, I should have got a 2nd hand one from egay.

I'm hoping it's the best case too!

The only thing that worries me is exactly the same thing happened to me in my Punto, - same symptoms, which resulted in a full gearbox rebuild.

I'll be taking it to my Ford dealer in Witney tomorrow for some opinions - I'll let you all know how it goes. It's probably nothing!

Maybe a wearing clutch stopping it engaging?

Keep us informed matey :)

*fingers crossed it's cheap*

Mine makes a clunk when i put it in reverse, but its not a crunch. Is that normal?

As long as it's not a loud clunk. Just the action of depressing the clutch once more should mean it goes in smoothly.

Try starting the car and selecting reverse. If it doesn't go in straight away, foot off clutch, foot back on and it should slide in. If not, there may be something up.

Just taken it to the garage this morning. Fingers crossed!

Fcros.jpg

Just had a call - clutch is knackered so is the slave cyl (I think).

£600! All fitted. Is that a ridiculous figure or what?

I had my gearbox removed, stripped, cog changed, re-built, new clutch for just over £800.

£600 just for a new clutch and slave cylinder? Bit steep. Although it is Ford, so you expect to pay a bit more I suppose.

:shock:

Does sound pricey - then again it is a Ford main dealer. There goes all my bloody Afghan bonus...

At least it should last a while if it's OEM. Be guaranteed to as well I hope!

It's all guaranteed thankfully. Well I'll get the kat back tomorrow now. Bit narked!

Not really - PumaSpeed is miles away from me anyway, and I'm not planning on keeping the kat for much longer than another year anyway.

Typical dealer price, bet most of that is the 80 quid an hour labour charge. no charge for the fish and chip smell in the car after they fixed it though. Yes they did it to me, i was fuming.

Well pumaspeed arnt the only option, though depending who you listen to they are among the best. How come your getting rid?

Well not getting rid just yet anyway. Considering a few options, perhaps a FRP, or a late 1.7, possibly a Thunder or Milly. My kat is getting rather old, rusty and creaky now! I'll be keeping mine for another year I think yet.

I can imagine a 1997 era one getting a bit troublesome to look after. Still, only another 10 years and it will be tax exempt! Or is it 25 years?

Latest posts

Back