Getting Rid of the Howl

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat

My front disks have been howling on and off for quite a while now, mostly once the car's been running for a while. I'm guessing it's due to the brakes getting hot and expanding? Anyway, I understand this is a common fault with the FRP's front disks, due to them being oversized. I've been told that the best way to stop the howling is to get the disks skimmed. Can someone give me more details on the procedure?

More likely your calipers are sticking if they havent been rebuilt recently or wrong pads or no antivibration backing.

Drop eldude a pm, he is the alcon guru and also holds a few spares.

Simon

it's a very common issue...sounds like a knackered wheel bearing and goes away as soon as you touch the brake pedal to re-align the pad up again...

Easily sorted...just a days work to do it.. :lol:

el dude said:
it's a very common issue...sounds like a knackered wheel bearing and goes away as soon as you touch the brake pedal to re-align the pad up again...

Easily sorted...just a days work to do it.. :lol:

Yeah, that's exactly what happens. All I do is dab on the footbrake and it goes away...but it soon comes back again a short while later. It also makes the steering wheel vibrate slightly. A right pain it is too! :evil: Anyways, it's going in for a service soon, so I'll let the mechanics know what to look out for. Thanks! :grin:

Back