Going to view a puma tomorrow with 32k on the clock

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they are hammering you on parts then, which is good as you can save more, good luck with it :thumbs:

Hi again chaps, if all goes well the puma will go through MOT today and I will have it later.

We know the timing belt hasn't been done so do you think I should be ok to drive it for a week or two until I can get it booked in?

There is only 32k on the clock but the car is 11 years, so just don't want to take unnecessary risks, though obviously do want to drive my new toy.

Subjective but it should be ok. No guarantees with anything mechanical though!

Got my car, she is a beauty! Will take pics when I get a chance. Engine is sweet as a nut! Plan to get a good few years driving out of it :)

wow, found this on honest john, true or not?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/puma-1997/?section=bad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5-4-2010: retired Ford engineer confirms that timing belt of 1.7 engine is genuinely good for 10 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. This was an engineerign requirement because the type of engine mounts used make the belt extremely difficult to replace.

Ford didn't lower it to 5yrs / 80,000 miles for fun. The belt itself may well be good for 10yrs / 100,000 miles - what about the tensioner? I wouldn't risk it with your lovely 32k engine.

Trying to embed pics, hope this works!

20121107_073625.jpg

20121107_073615.jpg

20121106_203730.jpg

I've got a problem (not with the car).

I've been speaking to my friend and he used the garage I intend to use (Ford dealer - anout 55 miles away from me) for his 1.4 puma cambelt. When the mechanic took it out for a test drive, the head blew and shat the valves due to mechanic error. The car was off the road for a week and he was treated poorly. The car was fixed and is now fine but his experience was horrendous. This garage is 50 miles from where I live.

There is another Ford dealer, albeit a small one, in my town, so much closer to me. I went in to see them yesterday to chat about the cambelt change. Their mechanic admitted they hadn't done the Puma 1.7 but said they do plenty of focus 1.6 vct engines and they had all the correct tools, such the cam locking tool etc and he reckoned it wouldn't be an issue.

So I dont' really know what to do. If anything goes wrong with the car worked on by the Ford dealer in my town, at least I don't have far to run back and forward to get it sorted.

Caught between a rock and hard place!

All advice welcome :)

You have to put your trust in someone at some point and from the point of view of if things go wrong and need putting right Personally I would want to be at a Ford dealership rather than some small independant garage,however there are certain reccomended mechanics on here I would use if they were local.

Have you checked out our trusted sites list maybe theres someone near you.

Yes mate, only one garage is listed for Northern Ireland in the list and it's the one that blew up my friends engine, though it is a Ford dealership it's a small one.

I think I'll go with a different one, my local Ford dealership. Again, it's a small one but at least they are close by. I just need to stop worrying and stressing - these guys might not have done a 1.7 puma before but if they have the experience and the tools then there is no reason why they can't do it and do a good job of it, they have access to all the ford documentation etc.

I'm just so precious about the engine in this car, 32k miles and sweet as a nut, if anything happened to it I would be devasated.

I'd take it to a dealer when I worked at one of I was unsure of a job I could print a set of step by step instructions off Fords ETIS system to help

I've just discovered this:

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/Fixed-Pricing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lindsay Ford here in Northern Ireland are the main Ford dealer and the guys I wanted to bring the car to, but couldn't afford as their labour charges are sky high.

They have signed up to the fixed pricing so I should be able to get them (who would definitely be the most experienced) to do it for £249 - that includes parts, labour and VAT.

To be honest, that's what I might do. At 32k I might not bother with the other stuff, just get a proper good job on the timing belt and see how that goes.

Just want peace of mind really......

Just to update, I went to Lindsay Ford on Belfast's Boucher Road and they did a sterling job, no complaints at all though obviously the price was a bit higher as they are NI's main Ford dealer.

Feel free to add these guys to the 'garages used' list. I dunno if you want to remove Ballylisk given that they managed to wreck my friends 1.4 engine after fitting a timing belt.

Glad it all went well - can you leave a review in the garages section and I'll get the garage list updated. :eek:k:

(can you include a phone number, address for the garage and who you dealt with if you can remember)

Latest posts

Back