Grinding/rumbling noise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardmonkeys

As stated in my 1st post, in the newbie section, I have a rumbling noise coming from the engine, sounds like it's coming from the cambelt end...although I can't be sure, it doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle, and isn't that noisy, but it doesn't sound 100% right???any ideas

Wel, the aux belt tensioner is a fairly comon fault. After that there is the cam belt tensioner, then watwrpump, alternator, pas pump, and ac kompressor.

Try removing the aux belt, and se if the Noice is stil there. If it is, you know it's in the timing gir somwhere. If not, then it's in one of the aux Components,,give each of them a good spin. And you should spot the culprit :)

Cartman said:
Wel, the aux belt tensioner is a fairly comon fault. After that there is the cam belt tensioner, then watwrpump, alternator, pas pump, and ac kompressor.

Try removing the aux belt, and se if the Noice is stil there. If it is, you know it's in the timing gir somwhere. If not, then it's in one of the aux Components,,give each of them a good spin. And you should spot the culprit :)

Ahhhh, thanks mate, will give it a try.

Hello,

I took the puma back to the garage I got it from today, they have diagnosed by sound, the water pump bearing are collapsing, it's going in on Monday to be done, under warranty :eek:k:

Told them if it is the water pump, they might aswell throw a new cambelt on it too :thumbs:

Make sure they know what they're doing with regards to the cam belt. A lot think it's as straightforward as most other cars but it's not. If they haven't done them before on the 1.7 or the mechanics are typical quickfit type idiots the chances are they'll screw it up!!

They've done the belt before on this car, about 6-7years ago...it's done 10k approx since, most probably would be ok still, but it's peace of mind

Well..the cat is back!! Sounds great! I can hear the engine now, rather than the grinding!! Regret buying it for the missus!! I WANT IT!!!

sounds like the exact issue my 1.7 has developed as it sounds like a grumbling bearing coming from cambelt area under the cover and sometimes can be pretty loud too, luckily my cambelt was only done last year as was the idler pully wheel and as far as I know the water pump can be accessed without touching cambelt items

Back