Grooves in disc

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Hey everyone,

I installed a set of ST150 calipers a few weeks back. The calipers came with machined discs and part worn pads.

The first week everything went very well, the extra stopping power was really there. In the second week however the pads start to make a squeecky noise. Me thinking that the pads were at it end of it's life, Which couldn't be true because there was plenty of meat left on them when I put them on.

I checked the pads/discs to see if there was something wrong, What I found was a brake pad was missing some brake material here and there and some places were more worn than others.
What I also found was grooves in my discs which were not that bad at that time.

I bought new pads anyway because I wanted some fast-road pads (went with M1144) and had to wait about 1 week to get it delivered to my house. (from England to the Netherlands as the M1144 weren't available here)
In that week I still had to go to work and use the car. The third week it continues to make squeecky noises and I reckon continues to make grooves in my discs, Which are still there.

So my question is; Now that I have installed the new pads should I also install new discs?

Here is a picture as an example:
Left side:
ZTGMhMw.jpg

Right side:
Two of the right side which seems to be worse.
EnB3NuP.jpg

2g2SvkI.jpg

What do you guys think?

Im running st 150 brakes in mine and also the m1144 pads....
those pads are squeekers mate... They work great but get very squeely..
I have to keep blasting them with the power washer and that keeps em quiet for a little while..

Id change out those discs. I went for grooved discs from puma speed...
If you don't your pads wont get full contact on the discs until they wear into the grooves then if you get new discs later on your expensive mintex pads will look like your current discs but in a mirror image if you get what I mean.

Dwighet said:
Im running st 150 brakes in mine and also the m1144 pads....
those pads are squeekers mate... They work great but get very squeely..
I have to keep blasting them with the power washer and that keeps em quiet for a little while..

Id change out those discs. I went for grooved discs from puma speed...
If you don't your pads wont get full contact on the discs until they wear into the grooves then if you get new discs later on your expensive mintex pads will look like your current discs but in a mirror image if you get what I mean.
Yeah that's what I thought.

Swapped the OEM pads back in (as they brake good aswell) so that I can save up for some quality discs. Thanks for the answer!

i have st150 brakes and use black diamond pads - very good, dont fade easily, quiet and not bad price

I also had black duamond pads on my prevoius astra sri and were just as good

both cars are / were used for nav rallies so the brakes are used!

I believe performance pads only squeek if they're not run in properly. I heard what sounded like nightmare stories with the DS2500 (meant to be worse for squeeking than M1144) but after following the proper bedding in sequence (which seems harsh and is nervy seeing your discs smoke tbh) I've never heard a peep from them since. I'd always get new oem plain discs with new pads :eek:k:

Back