Handling Issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaJames

New to the forum so a quick 'hi' to you all!
We are having a few issues with the handling on my wife's 1.7 Puma which we recently bought and I am after a bit of feedback from those in the know!
Basically it shimmies and veeres off in all directions when driving at 6/10ths! If you drive it hard into a corner it grips and holds the road really well but when just driving normally it feels really really unsettled and the front very skittish. So far we have replaced the front wishbones, anti roll bar bushes and rear beam bushes (beam bushes are poly type ones) but they have not really changed the handling much at all.
The front end seems to scrub at carpark speeds so it might be an alignment issue - has anyone had any similar problems?
I have noticed that when it is up on axle stands the struts can move a bit at the top which makes me wonder if the struts are moving about when not being loaded up.
Another nasty trait ours has is that when you lightly touch the brake pedal it veers to the left a lot - you can change lanes on the motorway with it at times! Binding calipers were my first thought but they are both nice and free at the front pads are loose so they are moving fine.
If anyone can shed any light on these issues I would be really grateful.
The car has 100k on the clock and runs on Toyo T1-R's which are new, though I wouldn't expect that to upset the balance. I don't mind spending a few quid on it if I know that I am going in the right direction but don't want to chase my tail too much!

I can't help with any suggestions, but I can confirm that is not the nature of Puma handling and ride.

Something is amiss.

Are you still on standard wheels / tyre size?

Has the suspension been lowered?

At 100k it could be worn shocks, worn strut top bushes or possibly a broken spring. You could try the 'bounce test' to determine if its the shocks (bounce each corner of the car, it should settle again fairly quickly, if it bounces up and down a few times, shocks are one). Hope that helps.

Pulling when braking suggests to me that the brakes may need bleeding or you have a sticky piston but I'm not 100% on this.

I'd get your tracking checked as it's a cheap fix that can cause all sorts of steering/handling & tyre wear problems if it's only slightly out. It's also a common trait for the Puma to be always out in my short experience. I got mine done last week as I never got it done when I changed the wishbones etc etc I'd gotten done last June for the Nurb' trip and had fairly heavy inner tyre wear (said common trait).

When he checked it it was actually 'in-tolerance' which suprised me considering the wear. It's supposed to be (if I remember what he said) -0.2 plus/minus 0.1 which means it's slightly toe out anyway and it was at -0.3 both sides. With the wear taken into consideration and the fact it was apparently already in-tolerance I told him to set it to zero (basically +0.1 toe-in over standard tolerance) which he did to perfection (big up National Tyres) and to be totally honest it's transformed the handling on an already brilliant handling car. It now turns in much better, holds it's line better on crappy surfaces and doesn't understeer anywhere near as much as it did - and that's in the wet, can't wait to see what it's like when we get some dry weather.

Only cost me £14 with a voucher I'd had laying around for a few months...lol

sounds like you have sum of the same problems i have, i sorted out mine by gettin a strut braces all round. u may lose space in the boot thou.

hey id check your shocks i had one out on mine and it was really bad to drive i changed it and made a world of difference! also while your ther change your top mounts they prob wont have been and give strange problems, and the pulling sound like a caliper sticking triple check them as you have already changed the wishbone. what make did you fit?? could be a bad one?? hope this helps!

Hey there, sorry for the delay been a bit 'off topic' as it were as it's my wife's car and I don't drive it much!! Took the car to get the tracking checked and it was WAY out! When i looked at the front tyres the outer edges of them were almost bald - shame as they were new Toyo T1-R's and have only done maybe 2k.... at least they are cheap! It has sorted out the pulling to a degree (and the steering now feels like it centres too!) but the ride is still not right. Looking at the other threads for bouncing back ends (!) etc etc I think you're right, the shocks are shot and maybe the top mounts. When it's jacked up you can move the strut a bit and I think that the loading/unloading of driving is causing it to move around.
I am tempted to go for a full suspension replacement (springs & dampers) and do the top mounts at the same time. What is everyones opinion on replacement - standard spec or 'alternative'?? There is a G-max kit for about £220 but I would welcome all opinions - no-one likes spending their hard earned on total rubbish!
I'm north of Salisbury by the way - close to Pewsey......

i havent heard ad things about g-max

weitec, AP and Gaz are something else to to consider.

Excellent, There's even a Jamex kit on fleabay for £200 but I am wary of going too low. That's a 40mm kit and I'm worried it might upset the steering etc.

Yeah, I was worried about the steering geometry but really I don't want to lower it at all - the front bumper almost scrapes when reversing into the drive as it is - mind you that could be because the suspension is shot and it's sitting lower anyway!!

Latest posts

Back