Have anyone fitted digital gear shift indicator? which one?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think Puma noob has a shift light- Not a Gear number indercator.

In theroy it could work- but the bike boxs are sequential, so not sure there.

Something could be rigged up I'm sure (even as simple as a Micro switch on each gear in thecabin- below the gaitor. and then a small panel with 1-2-3-4-5-R on it which light up when the gear is engaged and the mirco switch closed?

I may be wrong but I think the bike ones just go on a combination of engine speed and revs. these two could be used to detect which gear you are in. For example using rough figures, a combo of 4krpm and 80mph could only be one gear :)

I do hve to question that vid though. I can't see the point of a gear position indicator on an auto :lol:

useful on a sequential thrashing down a country lane however if i fit quaife sequential shafts the indicator is 400 quid! il use my memory thanks!

mort666 said:
I may be wrong but I think the bike ones just go on a combination of engine speed and revs. these two could be used to detect which gear you are in. For example using rough figures, a combo of 4krpm and 80mph could only be one gear :)

I do hve to question that vid though. I can't see the point of a gear position indicator on an auto :lol:

I think your wrong Paul, my little Bro's bike shows the gears even when the engine isn't running.

Also, I had a gear position indicator on one of my old auto's and it's useful, especially if the letter's are missing off the gear selector side panel....lol.

And Jacko is bang on, they are useful as hell on a sequential box. The time's I tried to change to another gear on my bike and found I'd ran out of them is no one's business...lol

i may well be wrong, it's just from listening to what people have done on the 1400s which take a couple of feeds from the clocks. guessed it would from the speed and rev sensors.

found on one of the gear indicator webpages:

The GIpro reads the Gear Position Sensor directly, while other units, such as Acumen DG8 and Datatool DiGi compute gear position from engine and wheel speed. This leads to unreliable readings, especially at lower road speeds. Also, these units indicate wrong gear when the clutch is slipping or disengaged.

Unlike other designs, the GIpro incorporates an advanced microchip with sophisticated algorithm to filter out glitches and noise patterns on the gear position signal

Looks like two different ways to do it then :p :p :p :lol:

(although one more reliable than the other of course, before anyone else mentiones it lol)

Back