Heated seats - opinions on where to put the switch?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlashBastd

I am in the process of rebuilding a couple of sets of Recaro seats, having them in bits has got me thinking about fitting heating elements, either to the Recaro's, or possibly to my original seats. Waeco kits seem to be available for around £60, but my question is where would you fit the switches? They are small and round, and quite discrete.

My thoughts are to fit them either to;

1. the front of the plastic seat trim
2. an old style heater control panel, without the cigar lighter
3. somewhere on the gear lever surround

The OE location on the Recaro's, which have the early seats large plastic front trim, is on that trim panel, to the inside, with the height adjust on the outside. I am tempted by this, but am concerned that you could easily end up leaving the passenger seat on all of the time, which wouldn't do the battery much good on cold starts.

Just wondered if anyone had any other ideas or opinions?

This is the kit I am planning on getting;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAECO-HEATED-SEAT-KIT-RETRO-FIT-KIT-FOR-2-SEATS_W0QQitemZ260516172262QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca7f951e6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's entirely your choice mate as you'll be using them, if it were me either on the seat trim or on the heater panel.

I can imagine having it on the seat would be a lot less effort though so i'd probably end up with this solution.

It's easier? to use on the heat panel but if the buttons are of strange shape it might not look like oem?

Depends what look you are going for, more discreet on the seat trim :)

Yeah, to be honest that is my current line of thinking.

Would be nice to use OE switches, but they are rare and expensive.

Quite neat looking switches:

Page 4, diagram 4 and Page 5, diagram 14. Diagram 17 is the cutout for the switch (I think!).
English instructions from page 17 to 26.

http://www.waeco.com/tmp/MSH50_MSH501_EB_10s_03.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not going to put the heating elements on the alchemy Futura Recaro's, I am also rebuilding a second set, which I might fit with heating, otherwise they might go in my standard seats.

If you want to pay an extra £60 then I will put the heaters in the alchemy ones!

Make it motion and temp regulated
when its cold outside and someone is sitting in the seats
its activated.
When person leave their seat the heath is cut. Have to place the detectors in the back,not to low so it activates when you are out shopping whit bags
, add a reset relay to turn it off(bypass) the sensor
,-)hehe

Think I will just stick with the switches...

PumaFuturaHeatedRecaroSeats001.jpg

Back