Heavy steering and engine vibration on FRP replica

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeReD

Two questions..

1 - Went to see a FRP replica and found that the steering was quite heavy, certainly power assisted but took more effort than I remember a fiesta/Puma needing. The front wheels are AEM 17s with a 10 or 12mm spacer. Could ti be a lack of FRP suspension bits or the wide track causing the heavy steering? Or are actual FRPs pretty heavy to steer when stationary?

2 - Under acceleration there was mild vibration through the steering wheel/body in time with the engine RPM (harder I put my foot down the vibration got more itnense). Could this be the lack of soundproofing/dampening causing it? Powerflex engine mounts maybe? or could it again be the lack of FRP front suspension components?

I should add the PAS pump is apparently noisy when i attempted to doa 3-point turn

1. I don't remember an actual FRP feeling heavier than standard, it did have a wider turning circle due to a lock limiter to stop rubbing. It would depend how the track has been widened at the front, if you've just whacked on wheels with a bigger offset it might make it feel odd.

2. Wheel balancing?

Spaced out 17s with a bigish offset, no FRP bits which is why I'm unsure about buying :(

Yeah could be, my gut says the vibration was engine based though. It ran completely fine and no noises but I think the person who built it did something that took away some vibration dampening

Approach replicas with caution, to modify to the proper FRP spec was expensive and some (not all) replicas have had corners cut. If the price is right it could be worth it as actually building one is costly too.

Maybe it just has worn components? Bushes etc

You're right there, it definitely hasn't got FRP front suspension components, but the build itself is pretty good - working ABS, 280mm ST170 rear disks, 300mm fronts (genuine ford parts, even has spare pads and disks, brand new in motorcraft/ford boxes). The car as a whole costs £850 with MOT etc. wide body kit alone is £1k

Might just buy, tidy it up and sell on for profit if i'm not confident in owning it (I'm extremely fussy with cars, has to be the perfect one or I won't even bother taking it for a test drive)

There is no difference to the pas on a standard puma or an FRP. however if the pas is jearky, and heavy, My gues is tthe pump is either gone, or going, or it has a leak in the system somwhere.
the cooling pipe in the front grill is prone to rusting and leaking.

Edit.

Power flex engine mounts do transfer a lott of wibratin to the chasis, so the ride wil be harsher

It could also be a sign that the cv joints either inner or outer is going. could also be the right hand axel bearing :)

Back