Hello everybody!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatty La La said:
Cheers pal!

A large part of the reason it was that price is because as a mobile mechanic he doesn't have the overheads of maintaining a building / premises.

A Ford dealer in Buckingham quoted me £550 for the job.
Local garages were quoting £350.
I wanted to make sure that I went somewhere that knows what they're doing with this type of cam and uses the right tools so I was going to go with advice on here and drive down to London to get it done at Performance Puma who do it for £285.

I only got this guy to do it as I happened to have a chat with a friend of a friend and he recommended him. The other bonus was he came to my house to do it.

You enjoying the Puma still?

What sort of MPG have you been getting?

Still loving it.

About 120 miles for every £20 of fuel which is similar to the 1.4 Focus I had previously. I have been careful driving the last few weeks though until the cambelt was done.

Does harder driving/acceleration put more strain on the cambelt?

I believe it can put extra strain on the belt.
If it's in good condition then it probably won't make a big difference.
In my case we weren't sure how long ago the belt had been done or if it had been at all so we didn't want to tempt fate.
Replacing a belt is one thing, replacing the engine cos the belt snapped is another.

It turned out when the belt was taken off that it didn't appear to look that old from the outside.
The white writing on the outside was still fairly bright and readable so it looked like it hadn't been put on too long ago which would indicate it had been changed. However on the inside of the belt the rubber was all cracked.

The mechanic reckoned it had been changed at some point but the belt that was put on was old stock that had been sat on a shelf for a long time before being fitted so it was just as bad as sticking an old shagged one on.

I'm going to have some money put aside at the end of the month to get a few more things done!

So now the cambelt is done what else usually needs doing?

I'm going to get the mechanic to do a once over at the end of the month and see if there's anything that needs doing then might think about lowering it.

Latest posts

Back