help just done timing belt on my puma 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markpumathunder

have just replaced timing belt today on my puma and after turning everything over by hand all seemed well but after putting everything back together and starting car it wont idle and runs lumpy once over 2k revs it drives nice then hit 5k revs and it lacks power car hits 7k and bounces like it should but since doing it the induction noise is alot louder than before and i dont seem to know what it is and no fault codes coming up only thing that went wrong was two rocker cover bolts cross threaded coming off and havent gone back on tight help please as i really need my car for worj and everything thanks guys :grin:

Hi Mark
You didn't use the supplied stretch bolt to pull on the crank pulley/vibration damper did you?
Barry

what do you mean little confused ? i didnt touch bottom crank as it couldnt come undone and timing cover was missing managed to get belt around it as i could get crank undone and didnt touch the two top cams as i simply took old belt off and put a new one on with a tensioner but as i tried to undo the crank i had like a funny click noise as if it moved slightly :-S

Hi Mark
You've got me really confused now. Are you talking about the belt that supplies the power steering etc or the cam belt? The first belt is outside the cam belt cover and is relatively easy to remove. The cam belt is only accessed at the crankshaft by taking off the outside pulley which runs the power steering, AC etc (vibration damper) and then removing a cover which exposes the cam belt pulley.
Barry

yes the cam belt my cover was already missing and the vibration damper or whatever it is lol wouldnt come undone so i got the belt on with out taking that off as the cover was missing but the old belt was frayed and looked rubbish hence i changed it and engine was running fine since i tried to undo that bottom damper or pully or whatever it is and couldnt and put new belt on the car is running rough but no fault codes or anything just wont run tidy

Hi Mark
I'm still not sure of the situation your engine is in but I would recommend that you don't run it anymore until you have someone who knows what they are doing have a look at it. If you have put a cam belt on it without timing it up or tensioning it you could ruin it. Whereabouts do you live? I should look on here for someone who's local to have a look at it before you drive it further.
Barry

i live in south wales just outside of cardiff the engine will run and doesnt knock or anything its as if maybe the timing is out one tooth could i have possibly done that by tring to undo that bottom bolt that wouldnt budge ?

Hi Mark
There's a million pitfalls to doing a cambelt change on a Puma 1.7 but you deffo need to have the car checked out by someone who knows. It's so easy to get the timing out and bend valves or get the cam sprocket or cam tensioner set wrongly. Sorry I'm 200 miles away from you in West Yorks but please try and find someone local before you start the car again.
Barry

You're wlcome Mark. I hope you find someone to help you but please don't start it up again untill you have help.
Good luck :)
Barry

eek.. it's definitely not tensioned properly

the bottom pulley bolt is always very tight.. ideally you need to lock the crank up at the other end (flywheel) before turning it off by hand... also if you don't loosen at least the exhaust cam pulley you won't get a very good all round tension when you pull out the pin (when the cam bar has locked up the cams)

I would of offered to help if I lived closer to you.

When I did the timing belt on my puma. I put the cam lock in and the crank pin. Then windy gunned the bottom pulley bolt off. When I did this it moved the crank so when I put the belt on the timing was out.i loosened cam pulleys turn crank back to the lock then then tightened the pulleys.

The covers were removed? So the crank pulley and cam belt were exposed? I certainly wouldnt of even bought the car, that screams bodged cam belt service in the past.

Right guys turns out the car has damaged valves has anyone got a replacement engine ? and if so how much ? thanks

from what i can work out just the valves but just had an absolute bargain 1.7 y reg puma no mot or tax 91000 miles fsh including timing belt all ford bought it of an old fella who had bought a new ford kuga gave him 110 quid scrap value so know do to an engine change :) and seems a shame but scrap the y reg puma :( :-(

Latest posts

Back