help re Duratech ST engine install

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobrider

tried searching but it only came up with 2 mentions - has anyone got a project thread on installing an ST engine into a Puma

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10961" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm hopeless on computers so if that link doesn't work it's on Project Puma heading and it's FRP duratec Turbo Project by Pumanoob.
Barry

thanks...I couldn't even find that even though I read it a while back lol

I want to point out, that the duratec engien that pumanoob has, is in no way shape or form the same as the st 170 duratec. They are completly different engiens.

As far as i can tel, the st170 is based on the i4 i belive it's called, and is basicaly the engien out of the rs 2000 spiked upp a bitt. It's hevy, and not realy that willimg. The 6speed gearbox that belongs to it is also terrible, as its gir ratios are way off what they should be.

The engien pumanoob has has more in comon whit the 2.0 engien from the Mondeo, althoug his is 2.3 :) this engien is also available as a 1.8

:)

Edit, btw the st 225 is a 5 cylinder engien, and i can't realisticaly see it fitt in the puma. Atleast not whitout hevely modefying the front end :)

Hi Cartman
When Noobrider mentioned ST and Duratec in the same sentence I assumed he meant ST150 Fiesta. I did speak to Errol at Ford Fair as I thought he had a Focus mk1 RS engine but he does have a proper Duratec HE. As far as the st170 goes though It is actually a Zetec E on steroids and no relative of the old Rs2000/Granada i4 .
Barry

hmmm. you learn something new every day... I was shure that the 170 was chain driven and not belt.. oh well :)

Nope the pistons and rods are the same it just has oil cooler jets for the pistons. Absolute dog of an engine most make nowhere near 170bhp, 160 if you're lucky

Hi all, just a little info on the ST170 engine for you. Barely any components are the same as the european engines, except perhaps the crankshaft. The block is slightly different, but is interchangeable with the blacktop one. The rods are a different length to the european ones and are made from sintered steel, the pistons feature valve cutouts and a slight dish and are also a different pin size. The head is also different, it has larger inlet ports, Longer valves and springs, solid followers and is designed for variable camshaft timing on the inlet cam. As a note, all 2.0 zetecs are equipped with under piston cooling jets, the performance 1.8 engines (130bhp) were also fitted with these.

Also as stated, they rarely make the 170bhp that they claim, but are more than capable of that power and more with some tweaking.

Back