Help with a private plate

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeFRP

Wasn't really sure where to put this in the forum!

How would I go about selling a private plate? The plate is S222SHH it's been on the car 5 years I've had it at least (I bought it with it on) however looking at possibly selling and putting back to the original Frp reg. I do have all the service history of the car so know what the plate was.

What costs etc are incurred in doing this and would i make anything on the selling the current plate that's on it?

Thanks for your help

I guess you need to find somebody with the initials SHH?

Looks a bit of a long shot to me.

Try putting it on here for a valuation

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/selling.asp?domain=adwords&kw=sell%20your%20number%20plate&gclid=CNOd9qCVhLgCFQ_LtAodBnwAZw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wouldnt you need to have the original plate on a retention certificate? rather than just knowing what it is?

I never did this but if you sold the S22 plate maybe DVLA would just give you a random age suitable plate

looking forward to a definative answer to this :thumbs:

Unless you have original on retention (costs around £120 a year) I beleive you will only get a random age related plate (as above)

Actual transfer costs seem to vary but around £80-120 seems to be the norm.

Value of S222SHH I would think is quite low, too many numbers drop the price, add 3 letters and you could be looking at little more than around £250 tops.

Might be better off just keeping it

The two applicable charges are assignment fee of £80 which you'd pay in order to assign the S222 number to another car, and the retention fee of £25 which you'd pay in addition if you didn't have a car to put it straight on.

V317 is the form but I'd advertise and sell the plate before paying anything out, you might find it doesn't make enough money to cover the fee as its not particularly rare or unique.

If you just wanted to change the plate back to the original one then I'm not sure which form, V317 doesn't appear to make provision for just removing the plate and going back to the old one, even then sometimes you wouldn't get it back. There doesn't appear to be any pattern as to why sometimes cars go back on their original plates and sometimes they get new plates of the same age - ie. another W reg.

Be a shame if it didn't with it having an XPU from Colchester registration office.

All my cars have gone back onto their original plate, the only reason it wouldn't would be if someone had bought the original plate off the DVLA in the interim

Simon

Ian G said:
The two applicable charges are assignment fee of £80 which you'd pay in order to assign the S222 number to another car, and the retention fee of £25 which you'd pay in addition if you didn't have a car to put it straight on.

V317 is the form but I'd advertise and sell the plate before paying anything out, you might find it doesn't make enough money to cover the fee as its not particularly rare or unique.

If you just wanted to change the plate back to the original one then I'm not sure which form, V317 doesn't appear to make provision for just removing the plate and going back to the old one, even then sometimes you wouldn't get it back. There doesn't appear to be any pattern as to why sometimes cars go back on their original plates and sometimes they get new plates of the same age - ie. another W reg.

Be a shame if it didn't with it having an XPU from Colchester registration office.

Back