Helppppppppppppp please

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest63

I have a n external USB hard drive that I cant access.

It shows up in Disk manager albeit without a drive letter but not in My Computer.
It shows up in computer management in disk drives

Right clicking on it provides mostly greyed out options.

It has 3 partitions
A healthy 200mb system partition
A healthy 1394.94 GB Primary partition
And a 128mb unallocated partition

I have tried
uninstalling and re installing
disabling and enabing
Rescan disks
Windows reports I have the best updated driver
The only option I get when I right click the primary partition is delete volume

All suggestions greatly welcomed

Thanks in advance

What version of Windows are you running?

I'm guessing from its capacity the drive is quite old. Does Disk Manager tell you the file system?

Hiya Rob sorry I missed out the GB from the big number :( its a 1.5 TB drive

Its windows 7 and I just tried unticking the hide volumes with no data check box but that didn't work.

No the file system is not stated

What is the history of this drive?

Is it brand new? Has the drive been removed from something else and put into a USB enclosure or is it a branded external hard drive (i.e. the drive and enclosure came together)?

Odd that the file system isn't recognised (are you sure you're looking in the right place - would say in the top half); did it used to be connected to a Mac?

I have no idea what the history might be I only just acquired it, its Iomega branded and has a Samsung drive in it I don't know if this is usual or not?

Its entirely possible it was used with a Mac

I had a disc crash onse, i hocked it up to a ps3 an was able to empty the contents onto a different disc, and reformate it. Stil Works today :)

If it helps any I have no need to access the data if any that's on there I just need it to work.

quest63 said:
I have no idea what the history might be I only just acquired it, its Iomega branded and has a Samsung drive in it I don't know if this is usual or not?

Its entirely possible it was used with a Mac
That's not unusual, but I'd avoid trying to connect the bare drive to anything by any other means than the enclosure it came with; quite often there is gubbins between the physical drive and what is output via USB (LBA translation or RAID for example).

Try installing an HFS driver; this will enable Windows to read the drive if it was formatted on a Mac:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows-free/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

quest63 said:
If it helps any I have no need to access the data if any that's on there I just need it to work.
Remove the partitions (aka volumes), repartition it and format as NTFS then - simples.

I just right clicked the drive to delete it and got a message saying the drive wasn't formatted by windows and might contain data used by another operating system.

Im curious now lol is there a HFS driver for win 7 the link above said its for 8 and 8.1 only?

Hi Guys
Watching this with interest as my old computer just expired and the builder of my new computer turned my old hard drive into a USB external drive. Yet to try it though as I'm a complete numpty with computers and don't want to destroy the contents on the disc.
Barry

quest63 said:
I just right clicked the drive to delete it and got a message saying the drive wasn't formatted by windows and might contain data used by another operating system.

Im curious now lol is there a HFS driver for win 7 the link above said its for 8 and 8.1 only?
Oh yeah, you did say you had 7 - sorry about that.

For some reason there isn't a free version for Windows 7 but there is a trial:
http://www.paragon-drivers.com/hfs-windows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Rob, its sorted now I took the delete route and will find its arse being pimped on ebay asap :grin:

Is it usual for an Iomega enclosure to have a Samsung drive in it? do Iomega not make their own drives?

Cheers peeps

quest63 said:
Is it usual for an Iomega enclosure to have a Samsung drive in it?
Don't know; I imagine they sling in whatever is cheapest at the time.

do Iomega not make their own drives?
Not any more; they used to make removable media back in the day (Zip Drives - anyone remember them!?)

Iomega never made hard drives, they used the cheapest at the time as said above...
If you get stuck any further I can help ;)

Latest posts

Back