Hoffmann Sports Rear Tail Silencer Box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mallyf

got a 1998 1.7 puma thought i would buy a hoffman back box saw this 1 on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7-039-97-039-03-Exhaust-Hoffmann-Sports-Rear-Tail-Silencer-Box-/352014706344?

says in advert fits directly to the outlet of the original centre silencer "

i have just been under my car and there is no connection near the center silencer it goes straight through to the front of the car and is a connection coming down from the manifold.

what do i do ?

The original exhaust is one piece from the back box to the join at the flexi.

Generally you have to cut the old rear box off to fit the new one, using a clamp on the join.

Assuming that the original exhaust isn't still the original then yes, it would be a straight fit.

But if you've got an original exhaust (one piece up to the flexi joint) then it doesn't matter what back box you buy, you are going to need to cut it irrespective of whether the listing says its a direct fit or not.

The only other way round it is to replace the center section too but that will probably involve having to cut or drill the bolts out of the flange on the flexi. I've had to drill them out and it's not an easy job!

well i bought a hoffman center section and today is the day i am going to fit the whole lot. hopefully no problems with it :grin:

I have the same set up on "buttercup" only problem I found was there seemed to be an extra mounting hook on the rear box with no corresponding point on the car....ignored it

I was tempted to go for a Hoffman straight through centre section, ive heard they sound nice but its aliminiumized mild steel. Gets hot hot hot! And being mild, won't it rust in a year? Interested to see how this goes. Good luck!

Back