Hoping to get rusty wheel arch sorted this week

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinster

My milly has nasty rust on one of the wheel arches, on one of the curved door sills and few others spots that need touching up. I've already got a quote from a guy who works for a local garage but does 'homer's' at night and he seems good. The quote is only for £100.

The rust makes me sad, I want my milly back in tip top shape :(

£100 sounds cheap. Make sure they cut it out / treat it well or else it'll just be back through again in 6 months.

It's a Ford.... they all get the old tin worm :( I have to do mine this week.

Yeah, he mentioned it's probably right through and he'll need to fibreglass it so sounds as if he knows what he's talking about.

Can the car fail an mot because of rusty wheel arches?

Nope.

Can only fail on rust if it's effecting structural components, not panels.

Seems to be the trend lately. I wonder is it beacuse were all starting to clean our cars after the winter blues and are just noticing it? Thats certainly what happened with me.

Well mine's certainly gonna need sorting soon as well Chinster. I've got some on the wheel arch, driver's sill right next to the scuff plate (which might be a tricky one) and some on the passenger door sill as well. I think I'll be going round for quotes too.

Yes chaps, for some reason this winter has been very hard on my puma. I had no rust before the winter but a big line of it after, which suggests to me it's been lingering there for some time and just chose to break through all of a sudden!

Mine is going in to the shop on friday night and will hopefully have her back on saturday.

Looks like that wheel arch had been patched before, but he's fixed it up again nicely. He also sorted out the rust on one of the curved door wells, on one of the windscreen struts and touched up any other surface areas. I'm really pleased for just £100.

The respray of the rusty wheel arch is especially good, perfect colour match and my puma is back to her former glory!

Great news! Hopefully the dreaded tin worm will stay away for a few more years now.

Got any before and after pics?

I don't Dal.

There were about 4-5 rust spots and bubbles coming through right long the length of the wheel arch. They ranged in size from a 5 pence piece to that of a 10 pence piece. He commented that it was quite bad and had been fibreglassed previously at some point. Whether this meant it had had a little ding at some point previously or was simply rust we weren't too sure.

This was the only part of the car to get a respray, any other bits were rubbed down, treated and touched up very nicely, only noticeable when up really close, but it's the wheel arch which was the worst and that's the part I'm happiest about.

I'll try to get a pic of the wheel arch and throw it up later!

Pics after being quickly wiped with a hankie :)

arch1.jpg

arch2.jpg

arch3.jpg

And a weird one I took with my camera phone!

weird.jpg

We don't have permission to view those photo's :(

Look forward to actually seeing them though!!

There's a story behind that one. I was actually sitting in a car and I saw 2 lovely dogs sleeping in the sunlight in the drive of a house, the house you can see. As I clicked to take the photo a car drove past. Obviously I was focused on the dogs so the car ended up all squashed but it looks so great I had to post it :)

Looks like a drag racing RAV4 :eek:k:

From the MOT regs:

Test Description

Body condition and security

* body must not be so insecure or displaced so that it might lead to loss of control of the vehicle when driven, or be a danger to other road users
* there must be no dangerous sharp edges or projections caused by corrosion or damage which is dangerous to other road users including pedestrians.

Latest posts

Back