Horrible Puma experience

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_89

Driving home late Sunday night from Bournemouth uni to Potters Bar after visiting my girlfriend, driving on the M3 only around 60mph as it's dark etc, cars flying past me on the outside lane with no problems whatsoever. Driving round a long bend, not sharp at all and the Puma starts sliding in the road! I eventually caught it after it it turned from side to side about 4-5 times. The car gave me no feedback at all, nothing. I only realized there was a problem when the scenery started moving sideways. I was only doing 60! Other cars were going past much faster. I checked the tires and I have lots of tread, the suspension all seems fine. I don't understand how this happened? I did read some early reviews of this car from Autocar, Performance car and despite all the praise, every road tester agreed that the Puma lacks in steering feel. I just didn't think it would lack that much. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Never experienced anything like that over 6 years of owning my Puma. The only times i've had mine out sideways was turning into roundabouts too sharp, too fast.

Could have just been something on the road perhaps? Some sort of spillage...?

Unless anyone else can shed some light on the situation :)

as sparx said spillage maybe combined with lorry ruts, the steering in a puma is heaver that most other cars with power steering that ive driven which gives it more feel

Sounds like aquaplaning to me. Was pissing it down on Sunday IIRC. Certain parts of the M3 are a bugger for standing water.

http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/MikeDibbs/Puma%20CAR%20impressions/?action=view&current=puma4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope you can all get this link?

I've never felt anything but completely safe and in control in a Puma, even when going round corners faster than you should, in the wet. I've yet to have a brown pants moment, even when driving like a total arsehole.

What tyres have you got? I've read Pirelli P6000's are not good on a Puma:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Ford/Puma.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got Toyo T1Rs on mine.

That's how the car felt, as if it was giving me no indication of how close I was to disaster. I hope it was just a spill, as I've never had a problem like this before. I often do more than 65MPH with no problems at all, perhaps there's an underlying problem with the car?

Ill post up more links later btw, lots of good old Puma stuff

evilrob said:
I've never felt anything but completely safe and in control in a Puma, even when going round corners faster than you should, in the wet. I've yet to have a brown pants moment, even when driving like a total arsehole.

What tyres have you got? I've read Pirelli P6000's are not good on a Puma:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Ford/Puma.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've got Toyo T1Rs on mine.

I've got Toyo Proxes all round! it was wet but they've been fine in the past

that guy is talking shit, why would the steering go light when a car starts to over steer :rolleyes: seems to spend more time boasting how he uses heel toe rather then getting to grips with anything

you dont feel oversteer through the steering wheel you feel it through your arse and the momentum of the car thats why people with little experience get caught out by it

these people seem to be used to understeery crap then wonder why it doesnt feel the same on cars with progressive oversteer, anyone worth there salt would see this as an advantage

thankfully proper drivers eg. tiff, see the pros of it

ScubaSteve said:
that guy is talking shit, why would the steering go light when a car starts to over steer :rolleyes: seems to spend more time boasting how he uses heel toe rather then getting to grips with anything

you dont feel oversteer through the steering wheel you feel it through your arse and the momentum of the car thats why people with little experience get caught out by it

these people seem to be used to understeery crap then wonder why it doesnt feel the same on cars with progressive oversteer, anyone worth there salt would see this as an advantage

thankfully proper drivers eg. tiff, see the pros of it

agreed :thumbs:

My thoughts exactly. It just made me think as I've never had this problem before, even when caining it. I hope it was just a one off, as I've owned it for 2 years and it's always been utterly dependable and stable. I'm doing the journey again this weekend so that'll be interesting!

alex_89 said:

My question has to be how long have you had them? Tyres obviously get far less effective as they wear down ESPECIALLY in the wet as the tyre just can't disperse the water quick enough. I always had Toyo's on mine until I got a free upgrade on my latest ones, the Toyo's were brilliant tyres and well recommended, however, just before I got my replacements I went through very light standing water and they aquaplaned very easily and grip wasn't that good in anything but dry conditions. I replaced all 4 even though all were above the wear markers so in theory still had a few miles left in them.

When I fitted my new tyres the difference was unbelieveable in both the wet and dry for the better of course. This would no doubt be the same for most tyres when new compared to very worn ones. My advice would be to check how much is left on yours......I hasten to add that your experience does sound like you got caught out by a diesel spillage if your tyres are in good condition as the Puma has HUGE amounts of feel.

yippeekiay said:
alex_89 said:

My question has to be how long have you had them? Tyres obviously get far less effective as they wear down ESPECIALLY in the wet as the tyre just can't disperse the water quick enough. I always had Toyo's on mine until I got a free upgrade on my latest ones, the Toyo's were brilliant tyres and well recommended, however, just before I got my replacements I went through very light standing water and they aquaplaned very easily and grip wasn't that good in anything but dry conditions. I replaced all 4 even though all were above the wear markers so in theory still had a few miles left in them.

When I fitted my new tyres the difference was unbelieveable in both the wet and dry for the better of course. This would no doubt be the same for most tyres when new compared to very worn ones. My advice would be to check how much is left on yours......I hasten to add that your experience does sound like you got caught out by a diesel spillage if your tyres are in good condition as the Puma has HUGE amounts of feel.

They've been on since January and I've done about 5000 miles. My mechanic did say that Toyo's wear fast but that would be ridiculous! There seems to be loads of tread left so there must have been a spill, I cant think of any other explanation :(

it does sound like a spill, many years ago i had a similar experience in a BMW 3 series - shallow bend i would normally take at well over 70 (i was young and stupid!) then one day i span 3 times and ended up the wrong way round - that turned out to be a diesel spill

I saw an AA test in the rain where they used tyres that are still legal by about 2mm (maybe more) compared to new tyres and the difference was night and day, I think it was them or maybe insurance companies that were petitioning for an increase regarding the legal minimum tread.

I hate people who hog the wrong lane in motorways, always stay left!!!!! But in heavy rain it can be lethal regarding the truck ruts filling up with water and is better to stay in the central lane.

alex_89 said:
They've been on since January and I've done about 5000 miles. My mechanic did say that Toyo's wear fast but that would be ridiculous! There seems to be loads of tread left so there must have been a spill, I cant think of any other explanation :(

I'd have to go with a spill of some kind then or as above maybe a lot of standing water in any lorry ruts if applicable.

As for fast wear, I don't errrrm....wear it....lol. Maybe for other cars but I can't fault the longevity of the Toyo's on the Puma.

Back