how can i remove my radiator to clean it and change coolant fluid?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

hello guys and good sunday night, anyone knowns the right method to remove the radiator in the puma? i want to remove to wash it inside and to clean it from 20 years inside dirt, and where is the tap to remove for change the coolant liquid? i have to remove the front bumper? thanks :grin:

This is the drainage tap for the radiator (ringed in red), viewed from the engine/fan side. The "Cross" tap will be fairly stiff, but can be unscrewed using either a large cross-head or large flat-blade screwdriver, or a flat piece of metal that fits across 2 of the slots.
Here's a link on how I changed my coolant back in 2010, but not how to remove/replace the radiator:
https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9818

As a coincidence, as it's now over 10 years since I last changed it, I'm about to change the coolant, but also replace the thermostat/thermostat housing/coolant temperature sensors, top/bottom hoses, heater control valve, etc. In addition, I'm going to replace the radiator, as I got a new Nissans manufactured item for around £35 off eBay.

I removed/refitted mine back in the day because the top two dowels weren't fitted correctly in the bonnet slam panel by the previous owner when it was repaired.

I can't remember exactly how I did it but I know I didn't remove the bumper - from what I can vaguely remember you can lower the bottom bracket that the 2 dowels fit into at the bottom I believe. This may be enough to remove the radiator completely if you need to. Take a look down there and check first as I could be totally mistaken but it does ring a bell :lol:

Sorry I can't be more specific as it's at least 10 years since I done it. Heck, it's 9 years since I had my Puma :(

thanks guys, i will also replace the thermostat and his housing, and the hcv, and i have the samco coolant hoses blue kit to assemble, with all this things and a very accurate clean in the radiator, i will resolve the overheating in my puma, this problem makes me crazy :?

A few guidelines on a Fiesta. Bumper only removed to view better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsS-CEAkrA

There is no need to remove the bumper. I recently removed a Puma radiator. It all gets removed from under the car after the cradle is dropped. However I think I removed the fan assembly housing first , then the radiator , however on the 1.7 there is also a power steering pipe in that region as well.

OK, just started this afternoon. Some comments so far:
The "squeeze" clips are a pain, so replacing them with stainless steel Jubilee clips.
Before dropping the radiator, two small screws need removing from the base. These fasten it to the aircon condenser/radiator. Support the aircon condenser/radiator after removing the radiator.
Make sure all electrical connectors are disconnected from the fan and all wiring unclipped.
If you're going to take the coolant flange off to clean it up/replace the gasket/replace the coolant temperature sensor, access is easier if you remove the battery and battery box first.
This could take a little while to complete, as the cradle has rust on it which needs cleaning up and painting, before refitting.

Latest posts

Back