How do I take off the brake drums?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lib319

Is there an idiots guide to getting the drums off and what tools are needed?

Yep, in the "how to" section of the forum. It's the first part of "how to change your rear bearings" guide:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:eek:k:

The official Ford method is to remove the 4 bolts at the rear, which will allow you to remove the drum complete with stub axle. This enables you to change the shoes and clean out the drum without having to undo the hub nut and disturb the bearing.
The downside of this is that the 4 bolts can sometimes be rusted in and difficult to remove.
If you do remove the hub nut, you will need a torque wrench that goes to 235 Nm to tighten it back up and you might want to consider changing the bearings if you've done a lot of miles.

Thanks for that, I did search but didn't find the guide.

I don't want to remove the hub nut, so I'll go in the back way. Where are the 4 bolts right at the back of the drum 'holder'

Between the shock absorber and the back of the drum assembly. Make sure you get a socket that fits well. Check that you can remove the ABS sensor before starting to do this. You can just see one of the bolts in the pic:

Thanks for that, appreciate it. Looks fiddly.

Want to hammerite my drums after sanding them, might try to do it still attached.

Latest posts

Back