How long can a timing belt last?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbartlett771

Hi,
Ive just brought a puma 1.7, 1998.
The timing belt was changed 8 years ago at 60K, mileage is now 113K.

When I brought it I was under the impression that the interval was 100K or 10 years but now after i have brought it , I read the correct interval is 60K or 5 years for the VCT (and the 100K interval is only for the 1.4 and 1.6).

I dont really have the money to change it at the moment, also I think that even if i spent 300 getting it done, some other terminal thing could happen to it.

If I just put a brave face on it and forget about timing belts what would be the chance of it slipping/breaking? I am willing to take a bit of a gamble as i have just become unemployed ... i am not reccomending anyone else try this gamble- indeed i will get it done when i have a regular income again.

I cant be sure how the three previous lady owners drove they may have been quite careful.

Apart from the above worries the car is great to drive, truly a sports car and much better than anything ive had before. Its not lacking in the acceleration department so i guess the engine is still generally OK.

Thanks
Justin

Welcome along :eek:k:

Firstly, the correct intervals for a 1.7 cambelt change is 80,000 or 5 years whatever comes first. When the Puma came out, it was 100,000 miles or 10 years, but then Ford revised it to 80K / 5 years.

It's a gamble at the end of the day, and one which you'll have to decide if it's worth taking. £300 now or £400 + fitting for a new engine?

Although I've only heard of a couple of cambelts letting go (or more specifically the tensioner failing, not the belt snapping) You're more likely to get a crankshaft bearing fail to destroy an engine than a cambelt failure.

As you have said, it's a gamble.. much like the lottery; you could play for ages without winning or it could just be your turn next week.

The interval is 80k/5 years so as you say it's overdue on the age.

There have been A LOT of cars running for ten years though on the original cam belt because of the confusion over the interval.

i know its 5 years or 80k but what if a puma did 5k in 5years would it technically still need doing. if its age the cambelt could have been in the shop for 3 years hence you would only have 2 years or is it because its under tension on the car.

I imagine it's because it's in use and more exposed to the elements.

And yes it'd still need doing, it's which ever occurs first... technically even if it'd never been driven.

As Ford originally specified 10 years I would be pretty relaxed myself about taking a chance and letting it run to nine years.

for the sake of £300 get it done

a replacement engine may only cost £500, but once you factor everything else in it'll cost way more than that

my gf's engine removed last week

Screenshot2011-01-13at212352.png

XIIVVX said:
S14200sx said:
my gf's engine removed last week

Wow!

My 'girlfriend' runs on batteries. Respect!

soooo your gf runs on batteries, so that would make her a battery operated sex doll, mate you're a braver man than me for admitting that on an open forum :D

:grin:

In truth, many here have met her (wife, but still my girlfriend too) and can attest that she is actually powered by healthy eating and lots of white wine.

get it done, they have crappy plastic cambelt tensioners that usually go before the belt does

Back