How the blazes do you return a faulty car battery??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gargravarr

Hi guys,

My Supra's battery seems to suffering a dead cell 2 years into its 3-year warranty, which is all well and good. The trouble is that it was bought from a company in Lancashire and shipped to Kent. As some of you can probably imagine, nobody wants to touch it to send it back!

It's a sealed battery (I don't think it's gel though?), but despite the whole point of sealed being to make the battery safer, they get classed the same as non-sealed batteries and rejected. I phoned the supplier and was told to use p4d.co.uk. I did this and got quotes, but all were contingent on the package not being a prohibited item - surprise surprise, 'car battery' is on the prohibited list.

I've been told to just ship it as 'Car Parts' and not declare it's a battery, but there are two issues with this: 1. if they look at the shipping label, 'Just Car Batteries', there's some fairly reasonable suspicion there, and 2. if it gets discovered, I was told by the Post Office they'd dispose of it. Obviously I could omit the company name, but the second point bothers me. Plus, if it's not explicitly labelled as a battery and they carelessly drop it, there's a limit to the amount of bubble-wrap that can save the day!

Any ideas?

UPS have a guide on how to pack batteries so I can only assume they accept them.

Also from what I've literally just read it seems non-spillable i.e. sealed batteries are classed as non-hazardous but the terminals still need protecting to prevent short circuits.

I doubt any of this helps though :?

yea, I would talk to some of the spesialist curier companys... all the batteries that are deliverd to us from volvo come in a special truck :/

Latest posts

Back