How to change an oil filter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great advice, many thanks. Got down to it and found that the last time I had had it done at a nationwide chain they had put the wrong filter on and it was very short so couldn't get a grip on it, whipped out and bought a gripping wrench and hey presto all done in roughly half an hour. My dad would be so proud!

I'm no expert...but i've found one of these to be an excellent alternative to the big screwdriver through filter scenario.....this illustration is not necessarily the right size folks......use them on me bikes and cars and vans....

I've recently serviced my car. I did it over two Sundays due to time constraints.
I did the spark plugs (and air filter) first because I changed the rocker cover gasket over a month ago and wanted to make sure evrything was still ok ie no plugs swimming in oil anymore. Everything ok so far and during the week up until the oil filter change all was well and good :)
Next I did the oil filter. I used the same 5-30 semi synthetic oil that I've always used and I also made sure I used the correct filter - a Halfords one.
However, now that I've changed the oil and oil filter the engine is really lumpy when I start it up from cold. It only lasts for 15 seconds max and then stops but it's really annoying as i was going to be selling the car later this month. There are no symptoms at all after that first 15 seconds. I took it down a dual carriageway this morning and it seemed to be perfect.

Additional information about this post:

1 - I'm not sure the oil filter (fitted by the garage for the previous service) I removed was even the right one as it was half the length of the new one and the one in the pictures of the how-to guide; yet I had no problems before. The new one is definitely the right one.
2 - I always use 5w-30 semi-synthetic oil conforming to the (long letters and numbers) standards code printed in the manual.

If anyone can suggest a diagnosis/fix I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

It seems that all the new oil filters (non ford) are now from the fiesta and a lot shorter than the puma ones

i have been told this isnt an issue at all though....

ScubaSteve said:
must be a reason they made them longer though rather then just using fiesta ones

very true, unless it was just a different supplier? but as they were making both engines at the same time, seems a little strange!

its the manufacturers and suppliers cutting back on stock levels....and the fiesta one sells more so theyv stopped making the puma one. i have been running fiesta ones fine for a few years now....

I tend to wear mechanics gloves whenever i can....need a new set at mo tho...

Oh for the love of god. Took bloody ages to get the drain plug off, shearing all the skin off my thumb hitting the garage floor it was that tight. Next the filter was not hand tight unless the incredible hulk put it on. Anyway got there in the end. I had to leave to pick the misus us 5 mins later so drain plug back on, new filter hand tight. Oil in- lined up on dipstick. Start the engine whoosh. Filter comes off and 5l of oil on the floor. What a bloody mess.

Latest posts

Back