How toxic is your car exhaust? Interesting article.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOG

Interesting article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

Yes read the article on another forum few weeks ago.I used to drive a diesel cab in London.Started in 1967 with a ‘66 cab fumes were appalling.In the summer you would have the windows open and choke on cab and bus fumes or shut the windows and cook!When I finished driving in about 2010 things had improved but still use to get eye watering days.A number of drivers I knew did die relatively young from cardiovascular problems(a lot did smoke!)I still run a 28 years old 2.3 diesel Sierra(in France)Think it’s just a matter of time till it will be banned in many French towns sa they are already limiting older cars here and in Europe at certain times of the day.

It's all very interesting but it's like anything, one day one thing will best the worst another day it will be the polar opposite. Eat and Apple a day, don't eat an Apple a day. Someone somewhere has their own agendas for this type of information and as consumers all we can do usually is trust what 'the experts' tell us.

So in summary the testing is entirely unreliable because the manufacturers have known for years how to trick it.

Surprises that me that VW got in to trouble but the Nissan is the worst offender.

Also probably rife throughout many other manufacturers. The annoying thing for me is motorists are charged money based on all of this. So we can straight away see that the methodology is highly flawed but there are still some people paying money because their car was less good at passing a flawed test. And there are people paying very little or zero for a car which, if tested properly, would rank far higher.

Also the crux for me - if you leave it at home then all the testing on emissions because nonsensical anyway - I have an Astra convertible 2.0 turbo which is apparently emits 228g per km of CO2, as a result its over £500 to tax - and it did 2800 miles last year between MOTs.

Meanwhile there are people doing more miles in cars whose manufacturers have lied paying less.

Terrible system, the solution is fewer cars, the solution to that is better public transport but in the mean time, pay us money. Annoying.

Latest posts

Back