Most Cost effective power upgrade ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma D

Hi Guys & Girls,

I have had my Puma now for almost 18 months, It is in the Project thread for those that are interested. I have done all first stages of Power Upgrades:

Decat & Manifold
Exhaust System
Air Induction
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Larger Throttle Body

Car made 135BHP and 135lbft

Now as per most petrol heads I want more power, I do not want to loose the balance of the car so don't want to drop a heavy lump in the front, What are my most cost effective options ? Is there anyone out there who does custom engine mounts if I did go down the route of a engine swap - I am looking to achieve 200 - 230 bhp

Thank you in advance for your comments.

I'd say the most cost effective power upgrade would be too upgrade the car for something else 🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness, 1.6 ecoboost? In standard form with just a remap they are around the bhp figure your after

you won't get that figures from 1.7 engine unless you add a turbo in it

I always liked the 1.6 Ecoboost idea as it's a light engine. If you plan to use your existing then you could have a read of this thread for budget Turbo ideas.

Best upgrade is to get on some track days where they have competent driving instructors.I ve been in a couple of heavily modified Pumas years ago with stupid fat tyres and lots of unusable BHP and they felt awful with corrupt steering and understeer.

Nobody likes to say it out loud, but pretty much every car fresh off the lot in the last few years is faster than pretty much any DD car from 20+ years ago.
You could drop a ton of money into forced induction, beefing up the internals and the transmission, and improving traction but still get smoked by a factory Civic or Fiesta.
Old car enthusiasts are usually best to enjoy the car for what it is, not fret over what it isn't.

Back