How you know if the transponder of a new remote is OK?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justR

Hi there!

First of all, thanks for reading my post and for all the information I've found in this interesting forum.

I bought my 1999 1.4 Puma a couple of years ago, and now I'm trying to program a spare key fob (from a more recent Focus I think).

By following the instructions found here http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=39 I can already use this new remote to lock/unlock the car.

Also got a new blade from China. And yesterday we went to a shoe repair to 'cut' this blade. It's also working OK.

The problem is that I can't 'program the transponder'. I followed the instructions I found here, and the ones in the owner's manual, as other ones found in the internet but always end up with the flashing LED (I now hate that LED :twisted: ).

I may have to go to a Ford service (and pay 35 €), but before doing it I would like to know if the transponder is OK.
It won't be funny if I finally go to the Ford service and they spend half an hour (that's the time they spend by programming it with the computer) to finally find out the transponder is broken or the wrong type :oops:

I have two working keys (one with the red 'spot' and a 3-button fob), and this 'new' fob is also a 3-button one.

The remotes are slightly different in the backside: the 'original' one has a lot of codes and says 'SIEMENS' while the 'new' remote has the Ford logo.

I've also compared the transponders of both remotes and haven't noticed any difference. I may admit that I couldn't take them out of the remote but the visible part is rounded in both remotes. I know there is another 'squared' version of transponder, but luckily it's not the case :grin:

Is this enough to know if the transponder is OK for my Puma?

Is the difference visually noticeable? In other words: Should I try to take the transponders out of the remotes and compare them?

I know that the flashing LED means that the Puma knows there is a transponder (with the 'T' key the LED is off as there is not transponder) and that transponder is not memorized or programmed, BUT does it also means that...
... it is the right type of transponder? I mean: with other types of transponders is the LED off?
... the transponder isn't broken? I mean: with a broken transponder is the LED off?

Many thanks in advance for your help, and apologies if my English is not very good :)

Cheers

Hi JustR,

It might be worth comparing the transponders, one right be blue on the new one when it should be red. However I'm not sure if you would visibly see the difference.. probably not looking at this.

mORE1zAa1LzUQRUhkmuPrtQ.jpg

If you have a blue one then you need to replace it with a red one for it to programmable to your car.

Hi Red,

Many thanks for answering my post, and for the information you provide in the forum!

Finally I found out that the transponder I have is a blue one, a friend told me that Focus transponders are 'blue'. He also told me that there is no visible difference (the 'blue' one in the Focus remote looks like the transponder in your picture), the difference is in the chip used.

As you said I'm now waiting for a red one coming from UK. Hope this one works :)

Cheers, and thanks again :)

Hi again!

I just received the 'red' transponder and everything is working OK now :)

After expending a lot of time searching for alternative methods to do the programming, my advise to anyone who wants to do it is to ensure that the type of the transponder is OK, and then just follow the instructions in the post http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apart from this, I also found another interesting info in the Puma's user guide: the instructions needed to erase 'extra keys' from the car memory. This would help if you had already programmed 8 keys (or 16, depending on the version) which is the maximum number of memories it can store.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back