Hubcentric spacers, rear of the vehicle

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Hey,

I'm looking at buying spacers for the rear of my Puma. My preference went for the so called hubcentric spacers. The reason for this is that the country that I live in (the Netherlands) made a rule about the use of spacers. The maximum you can 'space' out is 2% of your original track width. Which is 28,2mm according to the track width of 141cm

The reason I opted for the hubcentric spacers is because I can take them off when my Puma has to go the MOT. As seen that most of the people on here put axle spacers on the rear my question is: Is it even possible (Safe) to put hubcentric spacers of 24mm on the rear?

I was looking at this spacer: http://www.trackstyle.co.uk/index.asp?function=CART&ECD=1363&productid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!

Hi Brian
Is the reason you won't put on the axle spacers because of regulations similar to the German TUV? If so the axle spacers should be ok as you can buy them as Ford original parts in quite a few different thicknesses and in fact they may even be a standard part on some Pumas (early ones, FRPs) ?
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Brian
Is the reason you won't put on the axle spacers because of regulations similar to the German TUV? If so the axle spacers should be ok as you can buy them as Ford original parts in quite a few different thicknesses and in fact they may even be a standard part on some Pumas (early ones, FRPs) ?
Barry
Hey Barry,

I'm not familiar with the German TÜV but seeing that there are a lot of brand (Eibach, H&R) selling these I guess it's kind of similair. As I said before I would like to width the track by atleast 20mm(a side). My Puma already has the standard spacer of 10mm. I don't know if the MOT guys will give me a pass if I'd use a original ford part to widen the track, and I believe that the biggest axle spacer Ford has is 22,5mm. Which means after removing the old one (which probably will crumble once the drum is removed) the track is widen by 12,5mm a side. I would like to widen it by 20mm a side atleast.

That's why I was thinking about the hubcentric ones with bolts in them that will just slide on the original hub. I know that it give (a lot) more stress on the wheel bearings. So the reason for hubcentric ones is more because it's easier for me. I've never used spacers before and wanted to know if it's save to use these on the rear of a vehicle as I couldn't find an accurate answer on the interwebs.

Hi Brian
I can see where you're coming from now. I would think the wheel spacers would be stronger than the axle spacers anyway as they utilise 12mm threads rather than the 10mm of the axle spacers and also the bearing surface and the distance between top and bottom bolts on wheel spacers is greater than the axle spacers. They will put more load on the wheel bearings, though.
Barry
PS if this helps most widebody Westfields now come fitted with 19mm loose spacers and longer wheel studs on the rear.

I've used spacers many a time and never had an issue. Well, there is a proviso; I've never had an issue with hubcentric type, the ones without a spigot are naff and make your wheels wobble like jelly.

You could fit a later model wider rear axle / beam which is already as wide as your present axle / rear beam even without any spacers.

Then whatever solution you choose whether its axle spacers or hubcentric spacers there should be less bearing strain and likely whatever spacers you buy will be thinner and less costly.

You would have to also change the rear shock absorbers as the mounting is different on earlier and later axles.

quest63 said:
You could fit a later model wider rear axle / beam which is already as wide as your present axle / rear beam even without any spacers.

Then whatever solution you choose whether its axle spacers or hubcentric spacers there should be less bearing strain and likely whatever spacers you buy will be thinner and less costly.

You would have to also change the rear shock absorbers as the mounting is different on earlier and later axles.
Hey,

A later wider rear axle is out of question really, Too much hassle to find it here, get it to my place, buy other shock absorbers/fit lowering springs again, fit it to the car. So will go for the ones I described in my first post, It's easier and according to Barry they use loose spacers on Westfields as well so they should be safe then.

Thanks for the help guys, Will be ordering them soon ;)

Back