If you're thinking of buying a new SatNav

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be useful for people looking at Sat Nav.

I am in the position of having had both a TomTom and a Garmin system.

There is no 'best'. Each has pros and cons.

To sum up, they both do a good job.

Both are capable of brainstorms and sending you on very strange routes once in a while.

The timing of the voice prompts is much better on the TT. The Garmin can be quite misleading, causing you to turn early until you get used to it.

The estimate of arrival times is much more accurate on the Garmin.

Either is better than none.

And just a passing thought. There is a temptation to go for one of the bigger, wider screen units. In practice the extra width is of little benefit to navigation, whilst the extra size is a pain if you habitually remove it from the car when you park up.

'Traffic' is a good thing to have. Doesn't help much of the time, but the day it does you are so grateful. It managed to warn me of a totally blocked A5 and route me around it at the cost of about four minutes. Sitting in the jam would probably have cost me an hour (With Mother-in-Law in the car - no mean time period)

XIIVVX said:
This may be useful for people looking at Sat Nav.
'Traffic' is a good thing to have. Doesn't help much of the time, but the day it does you are so grateful

totally agree - has saved me several times!

also agree that their different features means that there is no 'best' one overall - just that one is better suited to each of us than another :)

I want an in-dash one combined with a dvd unit, but ive yet to find anything reasonably priced.

Have TomTom finally designed a better screen mount? The mount for my ONE is pathetic - every car I've tried it in, it falls off within about five minutes.

Useless.

Neil said:
Have TomTom finally designed a better screen mount? The mount for my ONE is pathetic - every car I've tried it in, it falls off within about five minutes.

Useless.

Based on your feedback Neil from ages ago I've ordered one of these straight away:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Quality-Moun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... m153.l1262

It seems to be one of the few that has a direct mount for the TomTom rather than a series of adaptors (which to me means more to break, lose or start to come loose). I'll let you know how I get on with it...

I won't tolerate £200 of SatNav sliding across the dash and out of the window :?

Never ben a fan of 'in-dash' type SatNav, one of the things I do is pre-program the route/stopoffs in the comfort of my house (in conjunction with the more detailed Google Maps) before venturing out. I also use it for when I'm out walking.

My main issue with in-dash fitments is how far out of your sightline they are.

I've mounted the Garmin high up on the windscreen with about 40% of it overlapping the A-Pillar. I now run with the sound turned down as the on-screen alerts are sufficient to catch my eye every time.

Since it also acts as my phone hands-free it's that much closer to my mouth too.

The worst of the Tomtoms for fitting has to be the 910.

Its a superb unit, ( apart from TMC which can be somewhat hit and miss reception wise ), just too dam heavy for the mount. Consequently the unit now sits at the base of the screen, resting on the top of the dash. Not to bad in mine, but would be a nightmare in many cars where the screen seems to be several feet from the driver.

Tiggr said:
The worst of the Tomtoms for fitting has to be the 910.

Its a superb unit, ( apart from TMC which can be somewhat hit and miss reception wise ), just too dam heavy for the mount. Consequently the unit now sits at the base of the screen, resting on the top of the dash.

LOL...guess it can't fall any further!

Cherie's TomTom 'one' has a crappy windscreen fitting. My TomTom 510 mount hasn't missed a beat (nor has the sat nav) in the 3ish years I've had it.

Back