Iffy under 4,000 revs?.....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puman Being

My 1.7 Puma is feeling a bit hesitant when under load at lower revs.
When i boot it,it seems like its holding back and kind of hesitating,
then when it hits around 4,000 on the rev counter its much smoother and flies like hell!
any ideas? :eek:

dont know if this is connected in any way but sometimes the rev counter sits at 1250 and other times it sits at about 800 rpm (like it should)

Throttle Control Valve / Maf sensor?
MAF at a guess as when you go faster it'll be able to cope with more air inducted = more petrol mix = more power.

its not really noticeable till i boot it.
then it seems a bit sluggish till 4,000
Where do i find these in the engine bay?
is it a clean-up or a replacement job?

Throttle control valve here:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Replace, cant clean.

MAF is the metal bit between inlet manifold and the air filter - nearer teh air filter. Disconnect and clean with petrol ;)

Throttle Position Sensor you mean?

Any who.. Puma's have a two stage idle so in gear with the clutch down it can be 1k-1.2k ish and in neutral idle will be around 800rpm.

Nah, the two stage idle is temperature dependent. It will idle around 1100-1200 when the engine is cold, drops to about 900 when it's warmed up. You do get a slight change in idle speed when you declutch whilst stationary, but it shouldn't be that large.

Back