Ignition Warning Light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus000

What sensors / parameters are linked to the ignition warning on the dash?

Haven't noticed anything un-usual with it when driving or starting since it lit up yesterday. :?

Is that the engine warning light????

I'd like to know where's this is wired up to aswell apart from the ECU obviously as mine doesn't light up full stop so after I check the bulb itself I'd like to know what other sensors etc trigger it if applicable.

It's not the engine warning light, that's a different symbol.

The ignition warning light is in the shape of a battery & since this is a brand new battery, only been on for 1 month I can't see it being that.

Just went out again and it does seem to hesitate somewhat when flooring it.

Will have a peek under the bonnet in the morning make sure everything looks okay, otherwise I sense a mini-service coming on. :roll:

Yeah, wasn't sure which one it was that you were on about.

Usually, and I could be wrong, that light coming on means the battery is low, isn't getting enough charge or is being drained more than it's been charged while the engine is running. Happened to my Omega all the time but that was due to the fact that I hardly drove it and once it had had a good run it would go away. Seemed to always come back in the winter when I had my lights on all the time.

Check the clock diagnostic and see what voltage is coming off. If it's 14v ish then I'd assume the alternator is ok.

Could be the alternator regulator/rectifier starting to break down, if it goes open circuit you should see the light all the time and your battery will go flat.
Give it a clean and a good blast of wd40.

@ Yip
I've got the older style dash on this one, not the digital dash.

Also, I don't know if it's related but my stereo has gone dicky since this light came on, keeps turning itself on & off randomly when driving.

Marcus000 said:
Also, I don't know if it's related but my stereo has gone dicky since this light came on, keeps turning itself on & off randomly when driving.

Stereo fault could be that the security panel is loose, use a WOODEN match or Cocktail stick to gently prise the pins out from the unit with the security panel removed, prise gently as pulling the pins out completely is bad news

It's the alternator, car just died on the way home from work. :evil:

Got a jump start, fired up fine.
Got 300m down the road it died again.

Jump started again and didn't take my foot off the accelarator till I got home (I only live 2 miles away).

Removed alternator, wire brushed & degresed it, still didn't fix the issue.

Wacked it with a hammer, all working again.

Happy days! :p

Back