I'm still too damn hot! ;)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkerbell

Bought Puma, love driving it but didn't love the constant hot air coming out of the vents (or building up in the console and making my phone burn my ear when I picked it up from the top of it!)

Did the research (aka searched past threads on here ;)) and changed the HCV. No joy.

Did a bit more research, changed the heater resistor on my fella's Puma to solve his blower problem and programmed his key to remote lock/unlock. Scored major brownie points. Am now engaged :)

Bought and fitted new heater control panel last night and - hallelujah! - had slightly cooler than 100 degree air coming out of the vents (good enough for me at the time cos I know the AC needs re-gassing. Happy Pinkerbell!). However...

Today, no cooler than boiling air was to be found. No lights on the A/C on or redistribute internal air buttons. No happy Pinkerbell.

Further investigation reveals that these things work when the ignition is on switch 1 or 2 but cut out when the engine is turned on. The courtesy/internal lights work so it's not the fuse.

In the words of Penelope Pitstop... hayulp?! :)

A run? With a Puma available? For shame! ;)

Daniel, the switch was working when the ignition was on but the engine wasn't. Granted it wasn't very cold air coming out but it was noticeably cooler than when the switch was on hot.

Maybe it's worth getting a multi meter on the plug that goes into the HCV and seeing what happens as you adjust the temperature with the engine running and with the engine off...

Also, the cool air when the engine isn't running is probably caused by the fact that the coolant isn't circulating... Once you stop the engine the coolant that's in the heating matrix will stay there and start to cool as the air runs over it... Eventually it will be cold and all you'll get it cold air coming out...

Just to get this straight, you fit a new HCV and when the engine is running you only get hot air (despite what temperature the switch is set to)? If that's right, I'd say that you either bought a bad HCV or the temperature knob is knackered which you'd be able to confirm with the multimeter (I think)... Or maybe you didn't plug the wire back into the HCV properly...?

It all works fine with the ignition on/engine off but stops when I fire up. No cooler air, no lights on the control panel buttons, nothing.

I'll check all the plug fittings again and see if I can find someone with a multimeter who knows what to do with it ;)

When you say it all works with the ignition on and the engine off, what do you mean?

With a cold engine you should never get heat from the blowers... With a hot engine, you should get hot air but this will only be for a limited amount of time if the engine is off as the coolant in the matrix will cool fairly quickly if it's not circulating the engine...

I mean the A/C and air distribution lights come on and the air blows cooler when the dial is on cool than it does when it's turned to hot. Turn the engine on however and nothing. No lights on the buttons and no change in temp.

My radio also cuts out when I change stations so I'm guessing there's a dodgy wire somewhere. Tomorrow I intend to pull everything apart and try to find it! :?

Latest posts

Back