If you need hot air in cold weather

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

I have been getting lots of infos from this community, so I felt, it's time to give something back.
Or at least just mentioning it.

So, a few months ago, when I bought the Puma, only cold air came from the vents. I checked the issue here and find out how to fix it, but it was summer and I was spending on other things already (cambelt,etc), so didn't bother much.
Summer ended and I felt the urge, to get a new hcv ( heat control valve) . Got a cheap after-market one from Ebay.
Of course, it was faulty -try to buy factory made parts guys...- and cold air only again.
I was checking the valve, but got pissed and left the main wire unplugged.
Next morning, totally forgotten about that unplugged wire, I turned the fan on and BANG - hot air!
Finally, I was not freezing at 4am :)

So, if your heater is not working and only cold air flows from it, but a new hcv is not an option for a while, just unplug the only wire from the top of the hcv and you should be good for a while.

Ps: I haven't experienced any issue due the unplugged wire. Only problem I've had since was the re-appearing fuel light, after engine starts, for few seconds -see my other topic- but probably that has nothing to do with it.

At least you have warmth! :thumbs:

But yes, the HCV needs power to close the valve. If there is no power to it, then it will remain open and allow engine coolant through it and into the heater matrix within the passenger compartment.

The trouble comes in that the valve can fail in either the open or closed position regardless of power.

Dal said:
At least you have warmth! :thumbs:

But yes, the HCV needs power to close the valve. If there is no power to it, then it will remain open and allow engine coolant through it and into the heater matrix within the passenger compartment.

The trouble comes in that the valve can fail in either the open or closed position regardless of power.

Hi Dal

Thanks for moving the topic to the right section, I wasn't sure.
It helped me, so maybe there are other drivers, who need a bit of warmth in their beast as well :)

Well guys... I don't really know what to say... That cable I think doesn't let the thermocouple open until the engine did not reach working temp...

In my point of view keep an eye on the ten gauge... :) and secondly let me know if your fuel consumption jumped or not :D

mihalyn90 said:
Well guys... I don't really know what to say... That cable I think doesn't let the thermocouple open until the engine did not reach working temp...

In my point of view keep an eye on the ten gauge... :) and secondly let me know if your fuel consumption jumped or not :D

After starting the engine, in 2-3 minutes nice warm air flows through the vents. Only thing is, that after 15-20 minutes drive, the temp in the car will be quite hot, due no control of the heat settings - only hot. But that's not a big issue. I just turn it off for a few minutes.
The mpg didn't change much, I still get 35-38ish mpg in the city. Actually the fuel consumption with the 1.7 Puma is better, than with the 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt...

Latest posts

Back