Impact Wrenchs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethanfitz

hi everyone.

Im looking for some advice on impact wrenches ....

i have a few bolts that i cant get any leverage on... namely the suspension eye bolts and the subframe bolts. i was wondering if i sould invest in an impact wrench and if this is the best way to get them off?

I have seen this:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...ctric-impact-wrench?da=1&TC=SRC-impact wrench

seems like a good price for the spec does any one have any experience with it? or any alternatives?

Please help me :-( im breaking my old car so hopefully this will be an investment for future maintenance as well...

I haven't found anything yet that couldn't be coerced with a 2ft breaker, Ferrosol and swearing.
That said, I've only done wishbones, rear hub, rear beam bushes and similar onto Puma and a Ka.

If i could get anything close to a 2 ft breaker bar under the car i probably wouldn't be looking at anything else :roll:

I took the plunge, found it slightly cheaper on Amazon got some impact sockets too...

when i eventually get it i will let you lot know how it performs!!! wish me luck.... i need it :lol:

I bought one of those impact wrenches a few months ago. In my opinion a great piece of kit.
Without it I wouldn't have been able to do the jobs I've recently done.
Paul

748 said:
I bought one of those impact wrenches a few months ago. In my opinion a great piece of kit.
Without it I wouldn't have been able to do the jobs I've recently done.
Paul

Woo that's good to know.... got a text from my other half saying it arrived this morning :grin: so i get to try it out on the weekend!!!

The electric ones are supposed to be quite good for the money, certainly far more cost-effective than battery powered stuff.

Also handy for stuff that's not particularly tight but spins when you turn it, rack ends, suspension top mounts etc.

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/22143-why-didnt-i-buy-one-years-ago-best-tool-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

must have for everyone who tinkers with cars, if you sign up online with machine mart they usually email you a Vat free, or similar voucher

for top mounts on suspension it take seconds to crack off nut, and hub nuts, not had one yet that it hasn't shifted (Inc one where I tried with a 1m breaker bar, to the point of just snapping the knuckle on the bar

Well a little mini review if someone else is looking at it...

Its pretty great! did exactly what i needed it to do with no problems... whipped out those rear suspension bolts in 10 second if that! and once i got to the rear beam bolts it broke those free easy too!!! Worked a dream on a few other bolts as well especially a few rusted in ones i couldn't remove before :grin:

There are a few down sides to this one though...
It is BIG!!! so big that i had to remove the fuel tank to get it on the rear beam bolts... defiantly not meant for tight spaces.
It is Heavy... Defiantly a 2 handed tool (for me anyway) as it tires one arm pretty quickly when working upside down.
The cable they give you is tiny. Its like 1m - 1.5m long so you will need a good extension lead most of the time.

However all in all for £64 delivered (from amazon) its bloody brilliant i couldn't have got those bits off without it!!!

Yep I'll agree with all that about the impact wrench, it is a bit bulky and heavy but feels like it will take some stick and last for years.

Back