inner panel and outer panel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're talking about the rear inner and outer quarters, In a word, no. I'll let a picture tell a thousand words!

That's impressive. Whats the reason behind the complete panel change..rust..accident ??

I'm now stripping a puma for spares and I'm amazed by the amount of thought that went into strengthening that area, nothing like the old mk2 Fiesta which was basically as strong as silver foil there.

redexr said:
That's impressive. Whats the reason behind the complete panel change..rust..accident ??

I'm now stripping a puma for spares and I'm amazed by the amount of thought that went into strengthening that area, nothing like the old mk2 Fiesta which was basically as strong as silver foil there.

Rust, rust and more rust!

I'd had it all cut out around the arches and new meta let in a few years before that picture was taken, but it came back so I swallowed the brave / silly pill and had both rear quarters cut off and new quarters put on and under sealed beyond belief on the inside so it won't happen again. Five years later, still as good as now. No, sorry, better than new!

It's an old wives tale the carpet makes them rust, having taken one apart to this level, 100% the rust comes from the inside out due to a design flaw when water is channeled over the arch on the inside

XAF said:
redexr said:
It's an old wives tale the carpet makes them rust, having taken one apart to this level, 100% the rust comes from the inside out due to a design flaw when water is channeled over the arch on the inside

Forgive me for being naive, but how would water be channeled over the arch on the inside? is there a way of preventing it?

Josh

The only thing I can think of is a major design flaw.

When the car had its original quarters I took out all the interior, rear door cards, speaker pods, boot carpet, the lot. I then ran a hose over it and there was a small trickle of water that somehow came into the inner panels and went down into the sills.

You could see how the rust on outside exactly matched where the underseal was missing on the inside. The construction of the panels meant that when the underseal was applied at the factory, it never got right into the crevice between the inner wheel arch tub and outer quarter. It's why you see many Pumas with rust above the arch rather than from the bottom of the arch going up.

I believe condensation forms in the car as well and collects in the small gap along the arch.

JoshMcD95 said:
Forgive me for being naive, but how would water be channeled over the arch on the inside? is there a way of preventing it?

Josh
Moisture inside a vehicle is formed either by you (a person breathes out around 1 litre of water vapour every few hours or so) or by warm air inside the car meeting the cold surfaces of the car, i.e. condensation, same as dew on the grass in the mornings. Warm air holds far more moisture than cold air can, etc.

If your car is in a garage then leaving the window half open is a good idea. If not, you either put up with it or I've heard of some people using electrical de-humidifiers!

None of that would be a huge problem if it wasn't for this (last few paragraphs ) - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=338501#p338501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It can be fixed though - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=339476#p339476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did mine 2 years back and they are still fine and that was looking with a high power torch with the rear door cards off again (I didn't take them off just to look at the arches again though)

one question... did you had to cut the metal near the rear windows?

answered my question... yes...
Thanks,

Back